Scope: The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program seeks an associate attorney to work at Sierra Club national headquarters in Oakland, California, or at our legislative office in Washington, DC. Working with senior and staff attorneys, the associate attorney will track and analyze state and local climate policy initiatives, focusing on legal defensibility, equity, and effectiveness; provide legal and strategic advice regarding the adoption and implementation of such policies to Sierra Club chapters throughout the country; and serve as counsel in regulatory proceedings involving such policies. This position involves close coordination with Sierra Club's climate policy experts and analysts, as well as staff focused on community partnerships, environmental justice, and labor. The associate attorney will also participate as counsel in climate litigation matters.
- Track and analyze state and local climate policy initiatives, focusing on legal defensibility, equity, and effectiveness.
- Advise Sierra Club chapters on the adoption, implementation, and defense of state and local climate policies.
- Serve as counsel in regulatory proceedings involving state and local climate policies.
- Serve as a core member of Sierra Club's climate law and policy team and coordinate closely with environmental justice, community partnerships, and labor staff members.
- Litigate climate lawsuits under the supervision and mentorship of senior and staff attorneys.
- Help develop and execute work in a manner that promotes equity, justice, and inclusion, and intentionally addresses the history of inequitable environmental and economic burdens carried by communities overburdened by pollution and harmed by climate change.
- J.D. degree and license to practice law or awaiting bar exam results.
- 0–3 years of post-law school graduation experience.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus building skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Passion for the Sierra Club's mission to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Knowledge of environmental law or climate policy.