About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas — Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection — focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customer's lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $253 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees' futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
As an Associate Life Underwriting Director, you will have the responsible of underwriting individual life insurance applications within your designated approval limit of up to $10,000,000 and up to age 85. You will evaluate and assesses more complex risks to determine whether to accept an insurance application and determines the appropriate coverage and risk. In addition, you will facilitate presentations at agency visits. You will assign the proper risk class to cases and collaborate with key medical stakeholders to select profitable risks.
- Evaluates and underwrites life insurance applications making determinations of the terms, coverage, and rating classification within his/her designated approval limit of $10,000,000 and up to 85
- Determines whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk through evaluation of an individual's medical history or physical condition, occupational hazard, and financial background
- Applies knowledge of more complex financial guidelines to make underwriting decisions
- Develops creative solutions for appeals and exceptions to meet customer needs while ensuring alignment to business strategies
- Provides second signature review of life insurance applications
- Serves as a subject matter resource to team members on financial and medical topics related to Underwriting and risk assessment
- Collaborates effectively with stakeholders to gather information necessary for decision making and to select profitable risks
- Represents the company by facilitating presentations at agency visits and developing relationships with agents and partners
- Provides in depth training to less experienced team members on underwriting topics
- Enhances departmental outcomes by sharing knowledge with team members and providing advice on more complex underwriting determinations
- Communicates effectively with customers to facilitate placement of business
- Undergraduate degree or 4+ years of comparable work experience
- Industry Exams – ALU 101, 201, 202, & LOMA encouraged
- EKG Certification preferred but not required
- 6 – 10+ years of experience in Underwriting Individual Life Insurance / Life Underwriting including medical, non-medical and financial risk selection
- Demonstrated Excellence in: Problem Solving / Analysis; Comprehension of Complex Information; Influencing Others; Risk Assessment; Demonstrated decision making using sound judgment; Negotiation Skills; Managing Conflict
- Demonstrated Expertise in: analyzing and interpreting complex financial documents including profit/loss statements, income statements, and balance sheets; Estate Growth Calculations and Life Expectancy Calculations
- Developed Skills in: Complex Medical Topics; Complex Financials/IOLI; Subject Matter Expert in one area of Industry Interest
- Strong Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Intermediate in: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- A demonstrated track record of working with minimal supervision, being a self-starter and working with others in a team environment