As Columbia Sportswear's Associate General Counsel you will own a broad range of responsibility, with a primary focus on corporate and securities law matters, corporate governance, and other corporate affairs. Within this role you must be able to quickly become familiar with the Company's business operations and objectives in order to identify, analyze, and resolve complex legal issues, as well as recommend appropriate policy and procedural changes. Your ability to communicate effectively and to across a broad array of stakeholders will be critical to your success.
- Advises on corporate securities and SEC reporting and compliance matters, including SEC periodic reports, Section 16 filings, proxy statements, annual reports, earnings releases/calls, and investor presentations and similar matters, in coordination with outside counsel and other internal stakeholders.
- Oversees preparation of the annual proxy statement with primary responsibility for governance related disclosures, in coordination with outside counsel and other internal stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the Corporate Paralegal team, oversees entity management and corporate governance for our entities globally to ensure compliance with corporate law requirements for domestic and foreign subsidiaries.
- Provides legal advice and support to the Tax and Treasury teams including providing guidance on intercompany transactions, credit agreements and other matters, with support from outside counsel as needed.
- Supports insider trading compliance including advice on trading windows, provides clearances for trading, ensures compliance with related filing requirements, and manages related Company policies.
- Handles other corporate and commercial transactions and projects as needed
- Advises and works closely with a variety of key stakeholders, including senior management, Legal, Accounting, Investor Relations, Treasury, Tax, Finance, Compliance and business functions, as well as members of the Board of Directors
- J.D. from an accredited law school required. Admitted to practice law in the State of Oregon required.
- Requires 5+ years of attorney experience at a law firm and/or in the legal department of a publicly traded company, with a focus on securities law, corporate governance, and corporate and commercial transactions required. Mastery of relevant business skills required to accomplish the job.
- Substantial experience in corporate securities law and corporate governance, including experience working with publicly traded companies either as part of a law firm practice or in house. Experience working with and advising companies with a global presence preferred.
- A well-developed business orientation and an ability to weigh legal and business issues effectively and realistically.
- Team oriented and able to work collaboratively and effectively with business clients and other Legal department members.
- Ability to clearly and concisely explain legal situations to business persons and other non-lawyers and motivate them to take appropriate actions.
- Ability to achieve optimum legal and business outcomes in a timely manner by focusing on key objectives, seeking efficient legal solutions, prioritizing multiple matters and issues, and avoiding unnecessary disputes. Ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Willing to take an "unpopular" position if it is the appropriate legal action for the Company to pursue.