The Assistant Vice President of Life Underwriting assists the Vice President of Underwriting and is responsible for actively overseeing and operating a successful Life Underwriting Team according to established goals and objectives.
The Assistant Vice President of Life Underwriting works with the Underwriting Management Team to develop and implement sound strategic plans to achieve and maintain the highest level of customer service, effectiveness and efficiencies in the Underwriting Department.
- Facilitate the sales process by ensuring reasonable and timely underwriting decisions in accordance with Company practices, standards and guidelines.
- Recruit, develop and manage a self-sufficient, flexible and knowledgeable life underwriting staff.
- Complete semi-annual performance reviews and annual salary increases.
- Review/audit underwriting cases to ensure: timely and effective risk assessment; compliance with established rules, procedures, regulations and laws; adherence to caseload management objectives.
- Discuss and/or review cases with Underwriters and Coordinators as needed.
- Review productivity, performance and time service using data available on Underwriting Management screens.
- Foster communication by holding monthly section meetings and attending departmental meetings, departmental management meetings and Officer/Manager meetings.
- Provide prompt and quality service to all customers, including agents, Sales Managers and other Home Office employees.
- Ensure compliance with MIB rules and perform MIB transactions to include requests for code details, disclosure, disputed accuracy, self-audits and follow-up MIB hits.
- Promote changes as necessary for prompt, accurate and cost effective processing of business.
- Enhance and maintain life underwriting practices and procedures manual.
- Manage relationships with our Reinsurers.
- Update Reinsurance administration system to accommodate new products and work with Reinsurance Technician to resolve any necessary issues and implement changes to enhance the automatic processing systems.
- Recommend, manage and handle special projects as needed.
- Consult with management of other departments to ensure proper compliance with regulations and processes, in addition to outlining underwriting practices during development of new products.
- Attend industry meetings/seminars and continuing education programs as appropriate.
- Assume additional responsibilities as needed in the absence of underwriting management and/or team coordinators.
- Bachelor?s degree*required? preferably in Insurance, business or similar discipline.
- Four or more years of leadership experience in the insurance industry required
- Four or more years of progressive insurance industry experience preferably within life insurance
- Industry education designation (FLMI, FALU, CLU etc.) or course work completion preferred
- In depth knowledge of underwriting procedures, systems and risk assessment
- Excellent leadership, communication, analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate reliability, accountability, integrity and professionalism
- Ability to multi-task and effectively meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
*College or university must be sufficiently accredited and listed in the U.S. Department of Education Accreditation Directory.