Major duties of the job include:
- Supervise and provide leadership for approximately 30 staff;
- Develop and recommend financial policies and procedures in order to ensure compliance with applicable CSU policies and Executive Orders;
- Coordinate and be the primary liaison for all external and internal audit engagements for the University and campus auxiliary organizations;
- In coordination with the CFO and Director of Athletics, assist in the review and presentation of the annual budget for the Athletic Corporation to the Athletic Corporation Board of Directors and Budget Committee;
- Review monthly financial statements for the Athletic Corporation;
- In coordination with the Director of Procurement and Support Services, review all Athletic Corporation agreements for compliance with CSU and Athletic Corporation policies and procedures;
- Serve as primary staff support to the Athletic Corporation Audit and Budget Committees;
- Responsible for coordination and preparation of the University and Athletic Corporation’s year-end financial statement (and related audits) in accordance with GAAP, GASB, and CSU policies (ICSUAM, Executive Orders, Audit Guidelines, etc.);
- Ensure University and Athletic Corporation expenditures are reviewed and processed with adequate supporting documentation in accordance with applicable policies and procedures in order to ensure proper fiscal control, expense reporting, and budget accountability;
- Provide fiscal, audit or tax advice as needed;
- Assist the campus Chief Financial Officer in developing long and short-range financial plans for the University, arranging project financing, monitoring trust account activity, and managing financial debt instruments;
- Advise the campus Chief Financial Officer on any fiscal matters, including new financial policies and taxation changes;
- Serve as the primary lead with Technology Services in the implementation of technology initiatives/system upgrades that impact the University’s general ledger and PeopleSoft financial accounting system;
- Ensure the preparation of Federal, State and local tax documents for the University and the Athletic Corporation, as appropriate;
- Provide detailed financial information and financial management reports as requested;
- Collaborate with the campus community to monitor financial activities and evaluate current business processes in order to identify opportunities for increased efficiencies and enhanced customer satisfaction; and
- Other responsibilities and special projects as assigned.
Secondary duties of the job include:
- Serve as a member of the Administration and Finance Leadership Team and work closely with the Director of Public Safety, the Associate Vice President for Human Resources, Associate Vice President for Facilities Management, Director of Procurement and Support Services, and the Director of Administrative Operations;
- Work closely with the Budget and Resource Planning Manager;
- Represent the CFO on various campus committees including Chargeback Committee, Level-A Budget Committee, Athletic Corporation Audit/Budget Committees and CSU Financial Officers Association (FOA); and Serve on University and CSU committees and task forces as requested.
Minimum Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Awareness and understanding of University’s Strategic Plan and key priorities
- Ability to interpret and effectively communicate information contained within audited financial statements.
- Understanding of complex financial accounting systems (i.e. PeopleSoft).
- Familiarity with GASB financial statement reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of effective organizational fiscal policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop complex annual budgets with multiple enterprise components.
- Ability to develop strategies for capital budgeting and project financings.
- Ability to identify and resolve business process issues.
- Emerging issues and challenges facing higher education.
- Proficient use of all Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MSProject, etc.).
Skills and Abilities
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective listener/problem solver.
- Collaborative business partner.
- Accessible and customer service oriented.
- Effective organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop, present and explain complex financial data and analysis.
- Ability to represent the University as required.
- Ability to lead and engage campus community and stakeholders in a consultative process.
- Committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse work environment.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or other related field from an accredited college or university.
- Active or inactive CPA license.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience as a financial leader in a comprehensive university or other large and complex organization.
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading a team of employees, including evidence of performance assessment, proactive problem resolution, and support of staff professional development and training.
- Experience issuing debt related financial instruments to finance University projects or other large organization projects.
- Relevant leadership experience in higher education
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration or comparable graduate degree.
- Oracle, PeopleSoft financial management application systems experience.
- Recent experience working in the California State University system.