This role isresponsiblefor:
- Providing/developing expertise in assessment of plant response to pathogens and/or pests.
- Providing/developing expertise in standardize new screening protocols & execute.
- Providing/developing expertise in plant disease surveys and diagnosis.
- Supporting pathology activities in the lab and the field
- In-charge for the specific project activity in a given crop at site.
- Responsible for developing disease screening projects.
- Management and execution of disease screen trials.
- Responsible for coordinating maintenance of green house, net house, laboratory, sick plots and fields.
- Responsible for collection, maintenance, purification & multiplication of target pathogen cultures in lab and green houses.
- Handle diseases screen both in routine and discovery projects for assigned crops.
- Laboratory and field works for disease identification & diagnosis and pathogenicity.
- Visit & data recording at multi-location disease screening trials and conclude the resistant sources.
- Responsible for maintaining federal and state plant pathogen permits.
- Planning for judicious use of resources.
- Potential to the people responsibility.
Administrative & Financial Responsibilities
- Timely reporting of work responsibility.
- Managing technicians/lab assistants/workers for output of the results, crop cultivation, screening and etc.
- Co-ordination with BO team, breeding team & site farm manager.
- Cost effective work management, utilisation of available resources for maximum output, measure return on investments made, economic usage of inputs.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
- Experience in the vegetable industry is preferred.
- Pathology/entomology techniques - lab & field
- Artificial screening and plant disease assessment of germplasms & hybrids and breeding materials
- Familiarity with databases
- Computer basics (Microsoft word and excel, power point)
- Good communication skills, Spanish in conversation is beneficial
- M.S. in Plant pathology and related field with minimum of 5 to 7 year of experience or a Ph.D. in plant pathology with 1 to 2 years of experience.
- 5 years of relevant and practical experience with disease screening and plant disease assessment of relevant vegetable crops and its execution, disease/insect resistance and management
- Basics of Plant Pathology/Entomology; Disease resistant trait; Disease/insect symptomatology & plant response to pathogens and/or pests; Pathogen identification and laboratory techniques.
- Experience with disease resistant traits relevant in plant breeding.