San Jose, CA
5 - 7 years
Posted 231 days ago
Positions & Duties
The City of San José is looking for a seasoned communicator with a diverse skillset to help lead the City’s communications teams. Under the direction of the City’s Director of Communications, the position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of Citywide communications programs and projects, supporting and coordinating with City departments that range from airports to zoos, and developing and carrying out the City’s comprehensive communications strategies.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Communications Director include:
- Manage the team’s service contracts with vendors providing strategic communications support, content and collateral production, and advertising.
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university; Master's Degree in public administration, business administration or related field is preferred, and can be substituted for a portion of the required experience.
Experience: Six (6) years of professional level analytic and/or administrative experience.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Competencies The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history.
Selection Process The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to the interview phase of the selection process.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing the communications function for a public agency/organization, including experience serving as the primary media contact and/or spokesperson.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in advising senior-level managers and elected officials about communications, news media, and community implications and alternatives for decisions, policies and programs.
- Public relations, marketing, and/or advertising agency experience is preferred
- Excellent writing skills and strong command of the English language.
- Demonstrated experience in both the writing and editing of effective documents of a complex and sensitive nature, in a wide variety of formats, and under deadline.
- Knowledge and experience with all aspects of publication project management and production, including planning, printing, graphic design, and distribution methods.
- Knowledge and experience in modern marketing and public relations techniques, technologies, and platforms, including social media and content strategy and tactics, special events planning, community engagement, visual storytelling, and data visualization.
- Knowledge and experience in website development, maintenance and management.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of crisis communications planning and response.
- Knowledge and experience in training, mentoring, and motivating others to improve strategic and tactical communications planning and execution.
- Knowledge of public sector and municipal government policies and procedures, functions, and objectives as well as familiarity with legal issues related to public sector information practice.
- A resourceful problem-solver who can interact successfully with diverse personalities and competing priorities.
- Ability to respond flexibly in a fast paced deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to develop relationships and work cooperatively with other employees, media representatives, elected and appointed public officials, and the public.
- Experience in preparing and giving presentations to internal and external audiences, including the public, top levels of management, line staff, and professional peers, and in conducting and facilitating meetings.
- Knowledge of budgeting principles.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely.
- Knowledge and experience of project management and organization.
- Ability to plan and organize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Bilingual ability is desirable.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
- Describe your experience developing and managing public information programs for large complex public-sector organizations.
- Describe your experience managing social media, web content, and other new media platforms.
- Describe your experience developing and carrying out specific marketing campaigns, and the results of those campaigns.
- Describe your experience working with news media.
- Describe your approaching for measuring the impact of communications.