As the Assistant Program Director, you will manage the operational parts of The Current as well as content initiatives and projects. In this role you will work with the music department to manage the play to air system and MusicMaster databases. Your role serves as a liaison with the marketing and sales departments to coordinate promotions and events on behalf of The Current.
As the Assistant Program Director, you are a member of The Current's programming team and are responsible for aligning resources and personnel with The Current's goals. In this role you will maintain The Current's programming and sound by monitoring and scheduling logs and playlists for program continuity and FCC compliance.
Application Deadline: July 3, 2019
- Assist the programming team and collaborates on various decisions regarding the operation and programming of The Current.
- Helps create and execute special programming and on-air events for The Current.
- Schedules on-air promos and liners, and coordinates promo scripts with programming, airstaff, and production team.
- Works with the marketing, traffic, and underwriting teams to communicate program changes, plan and execute on-air promotions, and fulfill on-air promotions and underwriting messages.
- Works across departments to support company-wide activity with underwriting, membership, events, and national programs.
- Communicates with Minnesota Public Radio's operation teams to implement technology and play to air system updates.
- Organizes and maintains the music library, MusicMaster database, and integration with the play-to-air system
- Coordinates and attends promotional activity and events on behalf of The Current which includes remote broadcasts and live recordings.
- Monitors and executes the scheduling of playlists, clocks, and programing for The Current and The Current's streams.
- Establishes and implements standard operating procedures and coordinates staff trainings.
- Generates and reports quarterly FCC, Sound Exchange, and BMI/ASCAP filings.
- Acts as the single point of contact for our network station activity.
- As needed, is a part time on-air host with the ability to voice track air-shifts.
- Assists in managing and tracking grant funded projects for The Current, including tracking budgets and implementing accounting codes.
- Participates in the promotion of Minnesota Public Radio, including public appearances and on-air fundraising activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum four years radio production or broadcast experience required.
- Experience with automation systems and music scheduling software such as Music Master.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be a team player, inquisitive, detail oriented, and self-disciplined
- In depth knowledge of the music heard on 89.3 The Current and a strong sense of the musical direction the sound the station seeks to create and maintain.
- Must be self-motivated and a self-starter.
- Ability to coordinate and manage large projects influencing others to fulfill the need of the project
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality in an information-rich environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of digital editing software like ProTools
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire and lead
- Able to relate to strong air talents and able to work within a growing and innovative organization.
- Knowledge of Live Events as potential for audience engagement and service.
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Outlook and other pc based software
- Familiarity with current radio trends, audience research, and music programming software.
- Comprehensive understanding of the art and craft of radio, especially music radio programming and its needs.
- Detailed knowledge of MusicMaster scheduling software and database.
- Able to work effectively and collaboratively with The Current's team and other MPR staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Passion for local public service and community involvement;
- Ability to embody and reflect the values of MPR.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Project management experience preferred.
- Work direction experience preferred - demonstrated an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.