The Assistant Product Manager works under the direction and supervision of management to successfully learn the Product Manager role in less complex and smaller assigned state(s) to achieve growth and profit goals. Does not have full responsibility for a state. Works with direct manager to develop a clear vision. Designs and executes practical action plans to accomplish the vision.
Essential Job Functions
The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of those required on the job. Incumbents may perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Learns to handle product development, rate revision and pricing support in a less complex and/or small state(s)
- Executes strategy that has been developed in conjunction with direct manager.
- With supervision, develops action plans to achieve annual objectives established by senior management.
- Resolves day-to-day issues.
- Develops detailed understanding of key competitors in each state.
- Works with the Claims organization to periodically review claims processes and talk about process changes that can enhance competitiveness.
- Communicates with management (i.e. Marketing GM, Regional Marketing Dir or PM) involving problem solving and decision making.
- Frequent travel
Knowledge, skills/abilities listed below are the requirements needed to be proficient in the job.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strategic thinking skills
- Ability to execute and drive results
- High energy level
- Ability to build effective strategic working relationships with others, both internally and externally
Education and/or Experience
Education and/or experiences listed below are the minimum requirements for job entry.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Math/Actuarial Science or related field of study (e.g., Statistics).
- Minimum of 5 years property casualty insurance experience or related experience (e.g., analytical work in a professional setting).
- Selection for this job family requires participation in Progressive's PM Assessment Process, consistent with guidelines set out by the Recruiting organization. Tenure at the Assistant Product Manager level generally will be 12-36 months. If the Assistant Product Manager has not demonstrated the capability for promotion to the next career level in this time, other career paths will be sought.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
The physical requirements and working conditions listed below are representative of those required on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Typical office environment requiring the use of typical office equipment (e.g., computers, phones, etc.). Computer keyboarding, computer monitor and mouse use including reaching forward, grasping, finger and wrist manipulation, and neck bending and turning; near vision is necessary for computer monitor use. If working in an Emerging Workspace, or similar working arrangement, lifting of laptop equipment, files and/or personal belongings weighing 10 lbs. or less is required.
- May require long periods of sitting
- May require prolonged repetitive use of the upper extremities