We make modern flight possible for millions of travelers and our military every second. Our major product lines are on-board virtually every aircraft flying. Be it keeping passengers safe with our emergency power generation systems, or creating a positive in flight experience through reliable cabin pressure controls and quieter engines, Power & Controls focuses on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. We hire the top people in the industry. Their ideas drive our performance, and their integrity keeps our customers happy. Join us as we take flight!
Position will entail intellectual property responsibility for several businesses in Collins Aerospace’s Power & Controls unit, which focuses on electric systems, engine controls and environmental controls in commercial and military aviation.
The position will involve a broad mix of protecting the businesses’ IP, transactional work, and client counseling, including:
- Providing effective, concise and timely advice to senior management, general legal counsel, engineers and commercial colleagues on IP matters, particularly in the areas of patent, trade secret, trademark and copyright law, and related disputes.
- Negotiating and advising colleagues on various IP agreements and IP aspects of commercial agreements with customers, suppliers and partners.
- Developing and implementing IP strategies for key enterprises, products and technologies. Active engagement on IP issues throughout product development processes.
- Interacting with engineers and supervising outside counsel with regard to assessing invention disclosures, preparing and prosecuting patent applications, and protecting trade secrets.
- Monitoring and assessing third party patents and applications, particularly with regard to questions of infringement riskand/or validity, with goal of addressing legal risks before products are brought to market.
- Working with engineers to monitor competitor products and advising as to whether competitors infringe Collins Aerospace patents. Advising Senior Management as to potential infringement issues and overseeing European patent litigation as required.
- Learning and implementing current IP department tools and policies, and working willingly with members of IP department with goal of continuous improvement of department processes.
- Reviewing and clearing IP-related content for publication.
- Conducting IP due diligence with regard to M&A matters in technical areas of responsibility.
- Striving to independently resolve issues arising in area of responsibility but consulting with peers, the Chief IP Counsel and the General Counsel when appropriate.
- This individual should be proactive, dynamic and assertive.
JOB LOCATION: Windsor Locks, Connecticut. Some travel will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in electrical, mechanical, aerospace or comparable engineering or technical field
- Juris doctor
- 3 plus years of IP legal experience required
- Admitted to the Bar of one or more US state
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or significant Patent Litigation experience
- Aerospace (e.g., as an engineer, in-house attorney, or patent prosecutor)
- Patents: preparation & prosecution; transactions, and litigation
- US government contracts intellectual property
- 5 plus years of IP legal experience preferred
- Engineering experience is beneficial
- 10-20% travel may be required.
Job ID 01286050