$80K — $100K *
What’s Important to You Is Important to Us
We’re looking for people who not only want to do meaningful, challenging work, keep their skills sharp and move ahead, but who also take time for the things that matter to them—friends, family and passions. And we're looking for team members who are passionate about our mission—making a difference in military members' and their families' lives. Together, we can make it happen.
Don’t take our word for it.
To provide expert advice and counsel regarding various legal aspects of Navy Federal Credit Union, advising senior management and business units on a wide spectrum of legal issues relating to Navy Federal’s business. To counsel on matters related to federal and state regulatory issues, corporate organization and/or governance, new business initiatives, and dispute avoidance and resolution. To assist with overseeing litigation and managing outside counsel.
1. Provides advice and counsel regarding matters of regulatory compliance and/or law.
• Interprets and reviews laws, rules, and regulations affecting Navy Federal operations to optimize business effectiveness.
• Responds to General Counsel and senior management requests for interpretation and/or application of laws and regulations.
• Acts as primary liaison with Navy Federal business units to facilitate, improve, and strengthen operations’ decision-making through integration of legal analysis as part of the business development process
• Identifies existing and new issues pertaining to corporate compliance with state and federal regulations to ensure necessary policies, strategies and procedures are implemented
• Prepares regulatory comments, letters, and correspondence to government agencies, members of Congress, and the major credit union trade associations to support Navy Federal’s positions and proposals
• Keeps the General Counsel and business units apprised of legal matters
• Supports Associate General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel in ongoing relationships and matters with business units and outside counsel
2. Manages litigation for Navy Federal.
• Assists in supervising outside counsel by providing litigation support and appropriate counsel regarding Navy Federal’s position.
• Monitors work performed by outside litigation counsel and audits associated billing.
• Applies established legal principles and sound judgment to risk assessment and risk management in litigation.
• Works with Navy Federal business units to identify root cause and process changes that may be required. Implements constructive plans to pursue the chosen solution.
3. Analyzes external (e.g., legislative and regulatory changes, competitors and economic trends) and internal (e.g., existing Navy Federal policies and procedures, available resources and future direction/plans) environments to assist with establishing relevant objectives for the Office of General Counsel, in association with the General Counsel and senior management.
4. Provides special project support requiring additional legal review and research, interpretation, advice, analyses, and recommendations to the Office of General Counsel and senior management regarding legal issues.
5. Performs other duties as assigned or appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
• Licensed to practice law and in good standing with a state bar, willing and able to become licensed to practice law in Virginia
• Experience in regulatory compliance and/or litigation, preferably involving financial institutions (law firm and/or in-house)
• Good interpersonal, leadership, negotiating, and consulting abilities
• Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with attention to detail
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent research, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Good knowledge of financial services industry and financial institution operations
• Familiarity with regulations affecting financial institutions and/or credit unions (CFPB/NCUA)
• Familiarity with Navy Federal’s objectives, functions, and mission
• 3+ years of experience practicing law
Navy Federal is a proud equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Valid through: 3/15/2021
$90K — $100K + performance bonus
2 days ago