The position will be part of a newly forming legal team supporting our People Services Department. This role will be required to develop and foster relationships across the organization and provide legal support for a wide variety of labor and employment matters.
The successful candidate will be part of an outstanding team dedicated to supporting high quality care in a physician-led environment. The role requires a sophisticated and savvy business partner with significant labor and employment experience.
The successful candidate has the opportunity to make a significant contribution within a challenging and rewarding environment.
- Based in Denver, Colorado
Duties and Responsibilities
The general duties and responsibilities of the position include management of the team and providing advice and guidance on a wide variety of labor and employment issues that arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing health care company operating in a heavily regulated environment. This position will also be responsible for managing employment-related litigation, including agency complaints. He/she will be part of a team that focuses on creating new strategies to support our teammates and drive efficiencies while ensuring the Medical Group leads the way in being the Partner and Employer of Choice.
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Providing guidance to the Company, Senior Executives, and the People Services team on the full gamut of employment, human resource and labor matters, including all policies and procedures. Experience with California labor and employment law preferred, especially wage and hour and leave of absence / accommodation laws
- Overseeing labor and employment litigation where a DaVita Medical Group or affiliated entity is a party, including managing costs to ensure effective use of resources.
- Investigating or overseeing the investigation of complaints by teammates (employees) concerning violations of company policy or related issues.
- Managing interaction with EEOC, DOL, DOJ, including response and defense of inquiries and investigations.
- Providing training to the People Services team and/or managers on labor and employment legal issues.
- Advising senior management and Company business units on employment compliance and risk management in order to accomplish business objectives without undue risk.
- Keeping the Company’s senior management abreast of significant labor and employment decisions, legislation and regulatory rulings that may affect the Company’s business or policy.
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, patients and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate appropriate structures and strategies.
- Drafting, reviewing, analyzing and negotiating employment-related agreements including consulting, severance, incentive, noncompetition and confidentiality agreements.
- Establishing a rapport and working relationship with teammates at all levels in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Performing special assignments or projects.
- Willingness and ability to travel a minimum of 15%.
Education / Certifications
The successful candidate will hold a law degree with strong academic credentials and will have obtained an undergraduatedegree from a college or university of recognized standing. The candidate must be licensed in good standing to practice law within Colorado or must be eligible for licensure through reciprocity.
- Successful track record of at least fifteen years of diverse labor and employment experience.
- Experience in the healthcare industry and working with physician group strongly preferred.
- Experience in managing a team to include attorneys and paralegals.
- The candidate ideally has a combination of law firm and in-house experience. However, exclusively law firm-trained candidates will be considered with diverse substantive and sophisticated labor and employment experience.
- Experience in positively and successfully managing relationships with a high energy, diverse group of stakeholders across organizational lines. A thoughtful, articulate and effective communicator who can distill and articulate the important aspects of any transaction issue to a wide audience of participants.
- Commitment to DaVita’s core values of Service Excellence, Integrity, Team, Continuous Improvement, Accountability, Fulfillment and Fun with ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively in daily performance and communication.
- There is no “I” in team. Demonstrated ability to function as a strong member of a highly-motivated and integrated team.
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with an acute ability to listen attentively and to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Hands on, efficient and proven ability to “Get a lot of Stuff Done” with a bias for action and strong sense of ownership.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage a variety of assignments, and oversee areas of responsibility and prioritize activities in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Able to manage successfully in highly matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills and ability to be “other-oriented”; ability to appreciate people with different backgrounds and points of view and ability to create an inclusive environment.
- Personal integrity, sound judgment and strong ethics in business and personal conduct.
- Adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- A commitment to personal and professional growth and receptivity to feedback.
- Candid and personally secure. Ability and willingness to seek and receive feedback constructively.