- The Assistant General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice to the company with regard to various areas of assigned specialization. The incumbent has clear authority in specialized areas to act for the company. Also develops and maintains internal relationships and provides coordination with outside counsel when necessary.Provides advice to management on legal issues concerning company business.
- Handles legal inquiries from within the company. Responds with legal opinion as appropriate.
- Prepares summaries of legal matters, as necessary.
- Serves on various internal committees as both participant and counsel, as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Represents the company through all phases of judicial or administrative proceedings (including discovery, negotiations and arbitration) and in government investigations.
- Manages outside counsel and develops strategy for cases, manages litigation budgets, serves as liaison between internal clients and outside counsel
- Receives and reviews pre-litigation demands and lawsuits served on the company. Evaluates the matter to determines liability exposure and strategy to achieve best results. Negotiates and authorizes settlements, where appropriate.
- Prepares memoranda of litigation and other legal matters, as necessary.
- Participates in labor negotiations process regarding representative Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Requires minimum of ten (10) years experience in the practice of law, preferably in a corporate legal department or law firm, as appropriate.
- Requires Juris Doctor from accredited law school.
- Prefers experience in the health care industry.
Additional licensing, certifications, registrations:
- Active NJ Bar Admission or eligibility to obtain limited license for in-house counsel required
- Requires a valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of health insurance industry preferred.
- Knowledge of NJ practice and court rules
- Must be proficient in the use of personal computers and supporting software in a Windows based environment, including MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Lotus Notes; Should be knowledgeable in the use of intranet and internet applications.
Skills and Abilities:
- Analytical & Problem Solving Skills
- Business Acumen/Understanding the Organization
- Conflict Management
- Interpersonal & Client Relationship Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Organizational Skills
- Information Gathering
- Oral and Written Communication
- Teamwork (Collaboration, Encouraging & Building)
Primarily NJ travel to attend litigation related appearances.
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability and any other protected class as required by federal, state or local law.