Position Overview: With approximately $20 billion in assets and 1,200 employees, Compeer Financial specializes in providing loans and other financial services to rural America. This position provides legal and regulatory compliance counsel in connection with consumer loan origination and servicing, with a primary focus on home mortgage loans.
This position will contribute or develop substantial subject-matter expertise in the following areas:
- Truth in Lending Act, RESPA, and Regulation Z
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act and Regulation C
- Fair Credit Reporting Act and Regulation V
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B
- SAFE Act
- Federal laws and regulations affecting correspondent lending and mortgage loan brokering
- Regulatory compliance management
Successful candidates will:
- Draft internal documents, including memoranda outlining and analyzing the facts and legal issues involved in a matter.
- Negotiate, draft and interpret contracts and other legal documents concerning loans, leases, insurance and other related matters in compliance with legal, regulatory and organizational policies.
- Monitor, research, analyze and provide advice on existing and proposed industry trends, regulatory compliance, new laws and policies and their impact on the organization.
- Draft legal opinions on complex areas of law pertinent to the organization.
- Review marketing materials to ensure regulatory compliance.
This position also provides legal counsel to other business units as needed, educates leadership and team members in legal and compliance matters, thus reducing dependency on outside law firms, and effectively manages and resolves legal issues which confront the organization.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 4+ years in a law firm or corporate law department providing legal advice to a bank or nonbank lender. Consumer financial services and senior level counsel experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and a JD from an American Bar Association accredited law school, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to obtain a license to practice law in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Illinois.
- Knowledge of federal laws and regulations affecting legal and compliance issues within the financial industry and relevant to Compeer Financial.
- Skill in applying legal principles to individual cases and problems.
- Strong attention to detail and high accuracy.
- Analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- High level of integrity.
- Flexibility in a fast-changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others using tact, courtesy and good judgement.
- Presentation, negotiation, influencing and organizational skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate complex topics to a variety of audiences and to write legal contracts and documents.
- Creative problem-solving ability.
- Ability to remain objective in balancing business needs and risk.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and work independently in a timely manner.