The Assistant General Counsel will advise the Company and senior management on all aspects of the Company’s business and be a key contributor and/or leader for finance projects, public company SEC filings, consumer and corporate litigation by actively and effectively managing outside firms, advise on matters related to corporate and board governance, human resources and employment disputes, contracts, vendor and technology license agreements; advise business unit leaders on regulatory, compliance and government affairs matters relevant to a consumer merchandise retailer with lending activities in 14 states.
The successful candidate will possess strong business acumen. He or she will report to the Company’s General Counsel and play an important role in supporting and advancing the goals of the overall legal function.
This is a position for a highly effective legal professional with a minimum 15 years of proven practice experience in a law firm or in a public company legal department in the subject matter areas stated above.
- Provide advice and counsel on legal aspects of SEC filings, including Proxy Statements, Annual/Quarterly Reports on Forms 10-K/Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K, Section 16 Filings (Forms 3/4/5) and registration statements, financial and other communications, including earnings releases and investor presentations, and treasury and capital raising transactions
- Assist with matters related to meetings of the Board of Directors and Board Committees, including preparation of meeting materials, resolutions, minutes and relevant governance research
- Advise on relevant corporate governance, investor relations, insider trading and other public company policies and processes
- Manage ongoing litigation on a day-to-day basis; develop litigation strategies for commercial and other legal disputes; manage outside counsel expenses and appearances
- Interpret laws, rulings and regulations impacting the Company with primary focus on state and federal consumer lending and protection laws such as TILA / Reg Z, ECOA / Reg B, FCRA, FDCPA, GLBA, SCRA, UDAAP as well as state law counterparts
- Advise business leaders and compliance department on legal and regulatory compliance arising from the Company's varied consumer credit offerings (from product development to underwriting to operations and servicing with a strong emphasis on operations support)
- Assess legal risks within areas of responsibility and advise on appropriate business practices in light of legal risk assessments. Mitigate business risk by establishing policies and business processes
- Review, negotiate, and prepare legal and transactions documents and vendor contracts as necessary to facilitate diverse transactions
- Other various duties as assigned
- Minimum 15+ years of legal experience as a corporate/consumer lending/commercial/litigation attorney gained while working in a major law firm and/or corporate legal department.
- Significant law firm and/or corporate legal department experience and a track record of proven results is required.