The U-Haul International, Inc. Legal Department seeks a skilled litigator with 7-9 years of experience to assist in the management and coordination of the nationwide defense of product liability, negligence and insurance coverage matters brought against the various U-Haul entities. This position will also focus on the investigation of accidents involving U-Haul moving equipment and pre-suit oversight of certain types of claims.
The qualified candidate must possess the ability to quickly assess the legal exposure posed by a variety of situations unique to U-Haul and provide concise and correct legal advice to both U-Haul field personnel and senior management. This is a fast-paced job that is only suited to a self-starter who has the experience to quickly take ownership of an existing caseload of complex matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing product liability, negligence and insurance coverage litigation;
- Effectively managing outside counsel and litigation budgets;
- Directing accident investigations, including retaining consultants, interviewing witnesses and coordinating with members of other U-Haul departments;
- Drafting, revising and coordinating discovery;
- Preparing corporate representatives and U-Haul witnesses for depositions;
- Providing advice and direction on insurance claims and insurance coverage matters;
- Providing general legal advice to U-Haul field and corporate personnel on a wide variety of legal issues.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited school and admission to at least one state bar;
- Experience defending significant product liability and negligence lawsuits;
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective management of litigation;
- Experience vetting and hiring expert witnesses;
- First or second chairexperience at trial or arbitration;
- Experience coordinating and responding to discovery;
- Excellent research, writing and analytical skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proactive mindset;
- Ability to travel 2-3 times per month.
Salary requirements must be submitted with resume. We will not consider any candidates who do not include salary requirements. This is not a remote position, the ideal candidate must reside in Arizona. Relocation assistance is not provided.
- Health insurance/benefits (including medical, dental & vision)
- Subsidized gym membership (including paid fitness classes)
- Life insurance
- Stock options
- Business and travel insurance
- MetLaw Legal program
- MetLife auto and home insurance
- Discounts on Apple products, cell phone plans, hotels and more
- Commuter benefits program
- 401k options
- Paid holidays, vacation and sick days
- In-house cafe featuring options for all diets
- 24-hour physician available for kids
- Community volunteer opportunities