What's the role?
Data plays a critical role at Northwestern Mutual, bringing financial security to millions of clients every day. The Assistant Director of Software Engineering will be accountable for managing and leading teams that build and maintain the services and APIs that provide core data to the enterprise. This position will lead and manage software engineers to support the design and development of APIs and services around NM’s client data which are essential for the company to do daily business. The ideal person for this role will have strong engineering and infrastructure skills, is passionate about the engineering practice, delivers superior customer service, and is constantly looking to improve themselves, their team, and everything around them.
- Manage and mentor engineer direct reports across multiple delivery teams
- Responsible for the design, build, availability, and performance of on-prem and cloud data APIs and services that manage client data for the enterprise
- Participate with the leadership team on strategic planning, roadmap development, and operational planning.
- Drive continuous improvement through operational measurement and analytics
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with data consumers, suppliers and infrastructure teams
- Deliver on service level agreements through processes such as incident management, change management, problem management, escalation management, capacity and performance management and operational KPI reporting and analytics
Ideal Skills to Succeed
- Ability to build and develop strong engineering practices and engineering teams
- Ability to work across eclectic technology environments, from the mainframe all the way to the cloud.
- Demonstrated success in coaching and mentoring team members both onshore and offshore
- Passion for operational excellence, problem solving, and ownership in accomplishing challenging goals
- Security and data protection mindset around encryption, privileges, access, authorization, masking, and retention
- Form strong partnerships with internal infrastructure teams which assist in the provisioning and management of data and compute technology.
- Strong leadership, communication skills with demonstrated technical and analytical skills
- Cool under pressure and can manage crises and conflicts
- Strong project management and tracking competency that ensure scope is completed on time and within budget
- Continuously upgrade own technical skills, to understand and influence architecture and supporting infrastructure
- Team lead or prior leadership experience managing direct reports
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with AWS computing and data management services (Aurora, RDS, Redshift)
- Knowledge and/or prior experience working in Mainframe and 3-tier systems
- Knowledge and experience with CI/CD automation tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with infrastructure automation and configuration management tooling such as Terraform and CloudFormation
- Project management experience in Agile, Waterfall, and Kanban methodologies
- Knowledge and experience with container systems (Docker) and container orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of insurance and financial services industry systems and previous exposure/experience in Information Technology