Assistant Director, Project Management, Design & Construction
One of the nation’s largest and most respected hospital companies, Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Steadily growing from a startup to an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, UHS today has annual revenue nearing $10 billion. In 2017, UHS was recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; ranked #276 on the Fortune 500, and listed #275 in Forbes inaugural ranking of America’s Top 500 Public Companies.
Our operating philosophy is as effective today as it was 40 years ago: Build or acquire high quality hospitals in rapidly growing markets, invest in the people and equipment needed to allow each facility to thrive, and become the leading healthcare provider in each community we serve.
Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has more than 81,000 employees and through its subsidiaries operates more than 320 acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities and ambulatory centers in the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the United Kingdom.
The Assistant Director of Project Management will create individualized learning plans for all Project Managers and follow up with those plans for compliance and improvement. This position will ensure all individual plans are followed through and report results to Staff VP semi-annually. In addition this role with have some Regional Project Manager responsibility for assigned projects to include the following: support all physical plant construction, renovation, restoration, and major repair programs at any facility associated with UHS operations. This position is knowledgeable in building systems and construction methods specifically in a health care environment. This position develops concepts and plans for facility growth or change in service as well as capital upkeep and replacement. The key role of this position is advisor to each individual facility managing director to assist in growth planning and implementation, as it relates to buildings and facility campus.
Essential Job Duties:
- Ultimately responsible for projects being delivered on budget and schedule. Ensure that risks are being properly managed either contractually or via insurance products and UHS is getting good business terms. Responsible for legal and contractual issues related to project delivery. Ensure we have an ethical and transparent working relationship with our vendors.
- Ensure projects are completed on budget and schedule and that the projects incorporate the latest Behavioral Health/Acute best practices. Capacity to manage multiple projects at one time with minimal supervision. Skill set to manager larger projects.
- Liaison between Acute/BH RVPs ,CEOs and D&C. Engaged in upfront scope and budget /schedule development/ team selection with Project Managers, C-Suite and RVP's. Issue monthly report to Sr. VP, CFO, all RVP's & CEO's, in addition to selected corporate entities.
- Direct reports are Sr. RPMs and RPMs. Provide mentoring and direct guidance to newer and less experienced staff. Develop programs tailored to each PM's professional development.
- Continually seeking methods to improve on past performances through innovation and challenging assumptions.
- Knowledge of the different departments in a hospital BH or Acute and the unique requirements for each.
- Involved in HR functions such as recruitment, and promotions.
Bachelor's degree with 10+ years experiencerequired.
Strong leadership skills; specific construction implementation experience, some development experience, code and permit knowledge, negotiating skills, strong interpersonal skills to lead vendors, solid business decision making skills.
Travel: 25% - 50%.