The Assistant Director of Outpatient Pharmacy has responsibility for developing and monitoring retail and specialty pharmacy operational processes to ensure optimal results for specific outpatient services. Responsible for overseeing all pharmacy related activities, the development and ongoing monitoring of clinical programs, ongoing operations and the development and execution of the comprehensive strategic plan for the outpatient pharmacies. Additionally, manages the integration of clinical programs, management of pharmaceutical expenditures; and compliance with contractual and regulatory obligations. Responsible for working collaboratively with several other departments across the organization to ensure service level expectations are met; and coordinate program development and implementation of policies and procedures, operational efficiencies, quality improvement activities, and process improvement interventions. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex information in understandable terms to all levels of staff
- Effective computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel
- Ability to work in a matrix-management environment to achieve organizational goals
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with internal and external clients
- Strong operational leadership skills
- Advanced problem solving skills with the ability to work cross-functionally to resolve issues
- Basic financial analysis skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an American Council of pharmacy Education accredited College of Pharmacy
- Working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint (Preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to delegate to direct and indirect reports (Preferred)
- Ability to handle multiple and diverse tasks to meet tight deadlines (Preferred)
- Highly entrepreneurial, motivated and collaborative (Preferred)
- Knowledge of retail and specialty pharmacy operations (Preferred)
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical and regulatory compliance requirements (Preferred)
- Master of Health Administration, Master of Science in Pharmacy or Pharmacy Administration, Master of Business Administration, or other advanced degree in pharmacy or healthcare leadership (Preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Five or more years’ management experience in a retail or outpatient pharmacy
- Current valid State of Florida Pharmacist license
- Prior leadership experience in specialty and retail pharmacy operations with multi-site responsibilities (Preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program
- Assists with the development and execution of pharmacy programs in collaboration with the director to meet pharmacy department’s clinical, operational and financial goals. Develops processes to achieve operational excellence in all areas of pharmacy.
- Assists with establishing the strategic vision, objectives, policies and procedures for the pharmacy programs; and resolve disputes, grievances and complaints involving pharmacy program issues
- Plans, direct and monitors operational activities related to the discharge bedside delivery program, and be the point of contact for physicians, nurses, care managers and other clinical staff for service related issues.
- Participates in business development and planning of future program growth; responsible for operational implementation of new programs as assigned
- In the absence of the Director of Outpatient Pharmacy, delegates responsibilities and performs in such a manner to ensure program continuity and overall functionality of the pharmacy department.
- Reviews and makes recommendations for Policies and Procedures revisions as necessary to ensure pharmacy department optimal pharmaceutical services that meet all regulatory, accreditation, and certification requirements
- Ensures pharmacy operations that complies with all local, state, and federal laws; and manage contracts according to the Florida Hospital and Adventist Health Systems compliance requirement and processes
- Ensures that required licensure and certifications for pharmacy staff and pharmacies are maintained according to regulatory requirements
- Leads programs, reporting, and outcomes monitoring that lead to the management of pharmacy expenses critical to the success of the outpatient pharmacy department
- Monitors operational performance, patient care services, cost containment activities, and budgetary performance via innovative objective parameters. Coordinate planning, formulation, and maintenance of routine reporting of departmental and institutional metrics
- Assists with preparation of an annual budget and manage assigned budget and financial resources including designing and implementing stewardship, cost control, and restriction/surveillance programs. Create Return on Investment (ROI) proposals to justify operational programs, capital resources, and new resource needs. Evaluate and analyze procedures that result in reduced pharmacy cost, both in terms of operations and supply expenses. Coordinate and direct assigned budget sections to ensure appropriate use of funds and adherence to departmental and institutional targets.
- Recognizes development needs and capability gaps in the outpatient pharmacy operational processes and address needs, and assist in definition of strategic plans for new and existing pharmacy programs
- Provides vision and strategic direction to the outpatient pharmacy business units and ensure that all staff is aligned with department’s and organization’s mission and vision
- Identifies quality and service-oriented customer solutions specific to pharmacy operations, and make recommendation for process and program improvement; plan, implement and monitor improvement
- Establishes and maintains operational standards to meet performance metrics in finance, marketing, clinical services and team development, and align organizational resources and human capital to support the performance improvement metrics
- Provides timely, constructive performance feedback and coaching to ensure staff members meet performance expectations
- Maintains a sustained record of contribution to the total body of knowledge in pharmacy practice through internal/external presentations, publications, formal review for a peer-reviewed medical or pharmacy journal, and/or professional organization service.
- Maintains a high professional profile and active membership in state and national pharmacy professional organizations (e.g. Florida Pharmacist Association, etc.)
- Develops standards of performance to maximize staff roles in accordance with licensure, evaluate staff work and program performance, and provide direction and guidance to subordinate leaders; ensure pharmacy managers and supervisors support the safety regulations, practices, and work methods; instruct and train or arrange for training leaders in safe working methods and practices
- Coordinates and direct activities of subordinate leaders to ensure effective and timely provision of pharmacy services. Assist pharmacy managers and supervisor in leadership roles and supervision of distributive functions, pharmacy operations, and staff activities in compliance with state laws and national regulations, Florida Hospital policies, and accepted professional practices.
- Maintains competent, skilled, and cooperative staff by coordinating training for new employees, coaching and mentoring of all employees, and routine professional development for all staff. Lead recruitment, interview, and hiring processes for staff in assigned areas. Develop a harmonious and satisfied staff by facilitating rewards/recognition programs and engagement initiatives and taking actions that appropriately maintain positive employee engagement.
- Manages the productivity and performance of the team with effective workflow processes and organization. Ensure that the business is meeting the labor management expectations