The Assistant Director of Payroll (ADP) is responsible for supporting the Payroll Director with overall management, development and administration of IDEA's Payroll function. The ADP will ensure that all staff are provided with their compensation with accuracy, timeliness, and strong customer service for their work at IDEA. This is achieved through ensuring the daily payroll activities of IDEA's payroll team runs smoothly and that processes are evaluated and improved to achieve results most efficiently. In addition, the Assistant Director of Payroll supports to ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
Supervise and direct the work of IDEA's monthly and bi-weekly payroll administrator team with a goal of 99.5% payroll-related accuracy
- Manage and guarantee disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes to 6,000+ employees consistent with federal and state wage, hour and tax laws
- Oversee the execution of all regular payroll processes for monthly and bi-weekly pay frequencies across all states and entities
- Oversee all monthly and bi-weekly payroll processes are executed within standard operating procedure guidelines, e.g. exit tickets are processed within 48 hours of receipt to avoid overpayments.
- Consistently evaluate payroll processes and engage the team to develop and implement improvements on a continuous basis – reducing manual intervention and processing timelines and increasing streamline integration across teams and systems
- Develop an expert level knowledge of Tyler Munis functionality to ensure full utilization of system in payroll process
- Reduce manual
- Maintain all voids and manual checks in Tyler Munis databases to ensure accurate 941 and W2 reporting
- Actively participate in annual rollover representing payroll interests and processes
- Assist in implementation of enhanced application components of Tyler Munis as identified
- Process specialty payrolls as determined or necessary including summer school, summer PD, stipend payments
Ensure compliance with all state and federal wage and hour laws and other government entities, including IRS regulations
- Provide information for all federal and state reporting to Payroll Director for reporting - 941 reporting, TWC
- Provide information for TRS reporting on a monthly basis and engage in accuracy reporting reviews
- Submit information for staff salary reports to HRIS & business office staff for external reporting on matters involving staff salary data
- Partner with Director of Payroll to run mock W2 forms mid-year to identify errors and make adjustments as needed
- Actively engage in annual W2 form processing and dissemination
- Support in response to wage claims and data requests as needed
- Collaborate with cross functional teams, benefits, HRIS, compensation, business office to ensure standard operating procedures result in meeting compliance standards
- Support development of out of state payroll processing strategy – with goal of being payroll ready minimum of 6 months from regional launch (when staff are in the region)
Achieve 85% Payroll Department Customer Service Satisfaction Rating for 2019-20 fiscal year
- Actively support in the development of communication strategies to staff and managers improve understanding of our payroll approach
- Develop and monitor processes to ensure that staff and managers understand how their pay is calculated
- Oversees the launch of new initiatives needed to improve communication and the customer experience and overcoming any obstacles or inefficiencies in the process affecting all staff
- Analyzes data on staff and manager understanding of pay calculations and overall district-wide feedback from school leaders and executive management
- Coaches team in utilizing standard practices specifically focusing on ongoing communication throughout the year – including communication when a person's pay changes
Develop a high performing team – 90% Retention of A Players
- Develop trust and leverage influence of team to drive strong results
- Establish department goals and individual staff goals that contribute to the attainment of organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop current team competencies and skill sets to be independent thinkers and contributors to the business purpose of the function – manage towards certification by December 2019
- Create plan on how the team will be staffed as we grow
- Ensure the team receives strong evaluations of customer service and integrity from key stakeholders
- Day to day team management of regular payroll administrator team, including regular check-ins and participation of tactical meetings/team planning, strategies etc.
- Deliver timely feedback and coaching through staff development cycle for all team members for continuous growth and improvement
- Instill strong work ethic with personal drive for success exemplifying "whatever it takes" attitude
Live Values of IDEA
- Believes and is committed to our mission: that all students are capable of gettingto and through college
- Is driven by outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order toachieve
- Embodies IDEA's core values
- Manages team of six payroll team members (2 direct, 4 indirect)
- Ability to work extended workdays to support business needs.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills, both written and oral, and maintain confidentiality in all matters.
- Mission and Vision Focus – fundamentally believe that when the adults in the system get it right, students achievement and success follows
- Record of Results – achieve established goals and continuously improve to move the needle in results year over year
- Problem Solving – identify problems, collaborate, influence and recommend solutions and take action to resolve
- Business Partnership – view every opportunity as a chance to meaningfully partner with leaders and staff to achieve outcomes
- Communication – be honest, objective and confident, adjusting communication style to influence and motivate action and behaviors
- Education: Bachelor's degree required. Relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable
- Experience: Ten to fifteen years' payroll experience. At least three-year management experience of multiple team members to strong results preferred.
- Licenses or Certifications (if applicable): FPC or CPP highly preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in use of Word, Excel, and HRIS software, with advanced skills in Excel. C
- Candidate must have knowledge of basic accounting procedures and payroll related federal and state laws and regulations.
- Candidate should have the ability to implement policy and procedures; create complex report, spreadsheets and databases; analyze and interpret data and statistics;
- Work in a fast-paced environment while meeting established deadlines; research, analyze, report and make sound judgments and work on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation. Knowledge of Tyler Munis preferred.