Under the general direction of the Faculty Director and Director of Operations, with a high degree of independence and latitude to exercise judgment, is responsible for the delivery of high quality and patient and family focused healthcare throughout the departments divisions located at the Bailey Road Central Laboratory facility. This responsibility will include the management of the technical, administrative, financial, quality and personnel management functions of the Bailey Road Central Laboratory facility. The Assistant Director of Operations supports the Director of Operations, aides in developing strategic plans and formulating policies and has final responsibility to the faculty and laboratory administration for the performance of the Bailey Road Central Laboratory.
- Models leadership skills of professionalism, positive attitude, team building, good judgment, and respect.
- Accepts accountability for section's overall performance
- Provides leadership and initiative in improving strategic operational and financial performance with effective decision making, planning and implementation skills. Encourages open expression of ideas and suggestions.
- Together with division faculty (as applicable) and division senior management develops short and long range goals and objectives that are in alignment with the Medical Center and division goals.
- Participates in laboratory and hospital management meetings and committees and conducts regular staff meetings; follows up on issues and responds to inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Collaborates closely with Clinical Trials laboratory leadership to insure smooth integration of clinical trials testing, compliance and quality assurance with other laboratory testing workload.
- Supports the determination of future space needs and utilization, maintains existing physical facilities, and oversees construction and renovation projects in collaboration with Project Management.
- Working with the Director of Information Technology, Director of Operations and University and Medical Center, assesses the information technology needs of URMC Labs; oversees administrative aspects of all ongoing technology projects to support URMC Labs' mission
Operational Management/Technical Performance
- Keeps abreast of current advances in the field and acts to evaluate and implement changes as appropriate.
- Confers with departmental faculty and/or laboratory senior administration concerning departmental operations and best practices.
- With laboratory section leadership, evaluates new instrumentation and products, makes recommendations for implementation. Seeks opportunities to gain efficiency and reduce cost.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements and agencies, including adequate documentation.
- Ensures the efficient operations of all departments to assure accurate and prompt reporting of results with defined laboratory reporting parameters.
- Designs processes, oversees and monitors the efficient operation of the laboratory
- Oversees compliance with safety, infection control and housekeeping policies
- Provides operational direction and technical guidance to departmental section leaders
- In coordination with Director of Quality Assurance, facilitates development and administers and effective Quality Assurance program measuring the critical aspects of service and compliance with Quality Assurance requirements of relevant regulatory agencies. Monitors and evaluates results of the program, adequacy of indicators, and compliance of staff and faculty with the program. Directs improvement actions.
- Designs, oversees, and monitors the overall laboratory Quality Control program to assure accurate reporting of results and the compliance of staff and faculty with the program.
- Proactively works with section leaders to improve work processes; oversees implementation of solutions to problems in a timely manner.
- Understands the hospital and departmental visions and expectations of service excellence.
- Fosters and environment of teamwork and doing it right the first time.
- Accountable for technical and professional performance of all sections employees
- Serves as primary contact for personnel matters in the department, wor ng closely with the HR Business Partner
- Promotes and sets accountability for a just culture and engaged workforce
- With general guidance from Faculty Directors, directly Supervises Supervisory staff, including performance evaluations and actions.
- Accountable for laboratory staffing including adequacy of staffing levels, training and training documentation, and equity of scheduling
- Reviews, develops and maintains accurate and appropriate job descriptions
- In coordination with Director of Finance, develops operating (including projections of revenues and expenses) and capital budgets for UR Medicine Bailey Road Central Laboratory and supports the Director of Operations in budget and contract negotiations with institutional affiliates, and consumers.
- Assures sound financial management by overseeing the production and distribution of financial, accounting, and budgetary reports; provides oversight management of UR Medicine Labs activities related to the specific area of oversight.
- Oversees invoicing and revenue capture operations and works collaboratively to optimize billing and collections operations; establishes reporting procedures to track and improve business operations.
- Develops business plans for proposed new programs/services, to justify requests for additional staffing, capital equipment or supplies based on Bailey Road Central Laboratory needs.
- Manages the oversight of purchasing activities for Bailey Road Central Laboratory to maintain alignment with standardization and cost control across the integrated health network.
- Evaluates impacts of operational changes, strategic planning and departmental needs and recommends budgetary adjustments as appropriate.
Performs other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and 5 years’ relevant experience including at least 2 years at a managerial level; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Graduate degree preferably in Health Administration or Business Administration and 3-5 years of relevant experience, including at least 2 years at a managerial level or Bachelor's degree and 7 years’ relevant experience, including at least 5 years at a managerial level, or an equivalent combination of education and experience with demonstrated ability to manage a large and complex department or service. New York State licensure for Medical Technology preferred.