The Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neurology jointly lead the UW Medicine Neurosciences Institute. Our physicians specialize in the management of illness related to acute brain and spinal trauma, vascular disease, neuro oncologic disease, disorders of the brain and nervous system, and peripheral nerves and spine. Our clinical services span six hospitals (Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center, Seattle Children's Hospital, Northwest Hospital, Valley Medical Center, the VA Hospital) and the 5 state WWAMI region. In addition, the Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neurology offer exceptional training and research programs advancing the care and treatment for people suffering from neurological disease.
The Departments of Neurological Surgery currently has an outstanding opportunity for an ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF CLINICAL FINANCES AND OPERATIONS.
Under the direction of the Director of the Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neurology, the Assistant Director for Clinical Finance and Programs provides senior level operational, administrative and clinical finance oversight to the Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neurology. S/he will work in partnership with the Department Director and Associate Director for Department Finance to strategize, operationalize and oversee all aspects of Clinical programs and clinical finance. In this role, s/he will report to the Director of the Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neurology.
Oversight, direction and management of Clinical finances and programs for the Department (80%)
Major responsibilities in this area include:
- Oversight, direction and management of Clinical finances for the Departments (including CUMG and UWP practice plans)
- Oversight and Management of the Hospital Support Budgeting process and Hospital Agreements
- Management of financial decision support, analysis and reporting
- Revenue Cycle Management and Clinical Research Billing Oversight
Typical work for the individual in this position will include:
- Financial problem definition and problem solving with recommendations to the Chair, Director, and Associate Director of Finance using sophisticated decision support tools and financial analysis
- Build business cases for new and/or existing program expansion or shrinkage; including building financial pro formas
- Model different financial scenarios using historical data/metrics
- Lead each department’s planning for clinical programmatic activities, including understanding local, regional and national trends as well as internal processes
- Partner with hospital operations and leadership to plan and implement clinical initiatives and programs
- Monitoring departmental and divisional financial and clinical revenue reports and related information; continuously working to analyze clinical financial data to assist department and hospital leaders in understanding and appropriately responding to clinical financial issues; recommending and implementing solutions to clinical financial problems that arise
- Developing specific project proposals related to department or division clinical strategic plans, creating white papers, business plans, and monthly and quarterly reports for the Chairmen and Director regarding departmental or divisional clinical financial performance.
- Managing clinical budgeting and forecasting functions for both departments
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the practice plan advisers to ensure timely communication and budget projection/reporting accuracy
Oversight and management of the clinical budgeting process:
- Assess the need for additional faculty, clinical staff or other resources that fit with emerging or on-going clinical initiatives
- Partner with clinical chiefs to establish a set of agreed upon service performance expectations and metrics
- Ensure the various components of compensation for clinical faculty are tracked and implemented in a timely and compliant manner
- Working with practice plan and hospital leadership as well as the Department Director and Clinical Chiefs to prepare and implement annual clinical budgets
- Monitoring and tracking CFTE and productivity for all faculty
- Updating cFTE quarterly and reporting information to Dean’s office.
- Reviewing and instructing the department operations team with respect to clinical budgets, ensuring they understand and implement appropriately and accurately
- Monitoring budgets and updatingbudget to actual reports; instituting changes or making recommendations for change as necessary
- Meeting independently with Division Chiefs to review and achieve agreement with the budget; may meet with individual faculty to explain CFTE and WRVUs, as requested by the Director.
- Providing analysis and managing implementation of the semi-annual Incentive Distribution; assuring rationale for payment as well as accuracy and compliance with UW Medicine guidelines
- Manage annual faculty alignment incentives for CUMG faculty
- Request access clinic, TPS and other payments for faculty and annually renew TPS and access clinic payments for UWP and CUMG faculty
- Developing pro formas, off-cycle requests and business cases to provide analysis and support for appropriate facultyrecruitment and retention
- Ensuring financial elements of faculty offers are captured and incorporated into Departmental financial tools
- Providing expert decision support when preparing offers for new facultyrecruitments
- Organize and retain excellent notes regarding all income statements, exception requests and communication regarding incentives
Hospital Support Budget Duties:
- Preparing the hospital support annual budget for review by the Director and Chairs
- Providing expertise in hospital budgeting methodology and nuances in order to provide rationale for Departments’ request that is understandable and acceptable to hospital financial administration
- Providing decision support to Director and Chairs when negotiating hospital support
- Participating as a central part of the Department team in negotiations with hospital & UW Medicine executives; representing the Department in the Director’s absence
- Implementing and managing the hospital support agreements, including monitoring funds flow and assuring funds are allocated properly
- Partnering with clinic and hospital operations to develop the clinic and case volume budgets, ensuring alignment with department and facultybudgets and goals.
Management of financial decision support, analysis and reporting:
- Develop methods to track production and financial performance of clinical programs and providers
- Evaluate trends that impact clinical activities overseeing the collection of data, communicating emerging trends and opportunities to leadership
- Initiate regular monitoring and reporting of trend indicators for clinics, programs, and individual physicians
- Manage the SCCA, SCH and CUMG annual true-up process
Revenue Cycle Management Activities:
- Partnering with UWP/CUMG on high-level revenue cycle activities for the Department, serve as a liaison between the practice plan, clinical ops, clinicians and the department to address operational problems that impact financial outcomes
- Providing in-department expertise to the Department Director and Associate Director of Finance
- Using data analysis to recommend revenue enhancement opportunities
- Navigating RCM issues and providing guidance to Chiefs and/or faculty on particularly difficult issues
- Overseeing practice plan training requirements as applicable in compliance, clinical documentation and professional coding
- Leading clinical finance improvement opportunities
2. Supervision for Data Analyst (15%):
- Supervise and oversee the work of the data analyst. Assess and respond to training and coaching needs.
- Facilitate corrective actions if needed.
- Conduct annual reviews
Other Duties As Assigned (5%):
- Masters Degree in Business, Public Administration, Public Health, or Finance.
- Three years of experience with financial operations and monitoring related to inpatient and outpatient services; clinical budgeting, and cFTE calculations.
- UW Medicine experience
- Experience as an analyst
- Outstanding knowledge of Excel
- Familiarity with standard databases
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail.
Req #: 152565