In partnership with NYC Health + Hospitals/Metropolitan our teams provide care for over 313,000 outpatient visits, nearly 70,000 emergency room visits and more than 13,000 inpatient admissions annually. The hospital maintains an academic affiliation with New York Medical College.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Occupational Therapy, Assistant Chief performs clinical, supervisory and assists with administrative tasks of the occupational therapy division.
Administers direct patient care in accordance with the written and signed prescription of the referring physician
- Evaluate and treat a varied caseload (including neurological, orthopedic, medical and surgical pts) at the discretion of the Chief of OT and in accordance with a physician's prescription.
- Provide treatment to more complex assignments
- Completes all required documentation for patient care and reimbursement in a timely manner as determined by the department
- Promote excellence in OT by effective mentoring and guiding new (staff) therapists in the clinical knowledge/skills of OT
- Responsible for keeping abreast of development of the occupational therapy section in the absence of the Chief Occupational Therapist
- Assists in evaluating staff performance
- Provides Occupational therapy in-service education to the OT staff and the rehab department.
- Assists in coordination of the Occupational Therapy Student Program by teaching and training assigned OT students in the appropriate OT techniques, skills and procedures. Demonstrate a genuine interest in assisting students in enhancing their knowledge and skill levels. Encourage positive learning experiences for career advancement.
- Answers inquiries to staff, physicians and other medical personnel and relatives of patients regarding each patient's progress
- Actively engages other colleagues in clinical learning experience/knowledge of OT rehab
- Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates appropriate professionalism during job performance
- Instruct and train Rehab staff on the FIM (Functional Independence Measure) in order for the Department to attain Competency
- Provide orientation to medical students on the theory and practice of Occupational therapy (on a monthly basis)
- Provide Occupational therapy input in the bi-monthly wheelchair clinic, which includes ordering specific types of wheelchairs.
- Assists in preparation of statistical surveys performed in the occupational therapy section
- Attends rounds and clinics appropriate to area assignment
- Keeps daily attendance record of patients
- All other duties as required by the department
- Baccalaureate, or preferably post-baccalaureate graduate of an accredited school of Occupational Therapy Program
- Current OT License and registration by the New York State Department of Education
- A minimum of (5) years' of relevant experience
- Supervisory experience and educational responsibilities preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V