The Hartford is now the second largest group disability insurer with a $6B book of business encompassing Fortune 500 corporations as well as middle, regional and small business clients. We are focused on customer experiences and consistently invest in our people, processes and technology to ensure we are delivering market leading capabilities.
When employees plan for their financial well-being, supplemental insurance coverage should be a part of their portfolio to meet their financial goals. Our suite of voluntary products help people when they need it most – in the face of illness or unexpected loss. The successful candidate is inspired by the will to prevail and understands while life is full of fun things to buy (ok insurance may not be one of them) there’s nothing more important than protecting the people we love. If you believe in these core values and are motivated by the marketing challenge to change consumer behaviors for the betterment of others – this is the job for you. The Assistant Director, Marketing will develop and bring to market The Hartford’s employee-paid product value proposition and story in a way that is relatable and meaningful to customers. This individual defines how we empathically connect with our customers, which include both people at the employer and employee levels – think HR and end consumer. But telling the story is, well… only part of the story. This individual will also be responsible for driving innovation through the creation of tools that our customers can use to help them make buying decisions, help ease the burdens associated with all the paperwork that needs to be processed by both the employer and employee during the purchase and claims processes, and creating meaningful connections with our customers.
This individual is responsible for developing, implementing and executing all Voluntary value proposition and innovation marketing and communications to build our brand and impact profitable growth both in the pre-sale process as well as stewardship. This individual works cross functionally with key partners spanning strategy, enterprise branding, operations, claims, and eBusiness. This individual should bring creativity, energy and a sense of humor to work – there is a lot to be done and we plan to have fun doing it.
- Owns the Voluntary innovation agenda, including engagement on decision-tree support tools, segmentation and modeling, and movement from ‘claims to benefits’ digital opportunity
- Accountable for the refresh of the Voluntary value proposition and go-to-market story, including internal- and external-facing deliverables; development of customer-facing sales programs/campaigns in support of the overall Voluntary agenda. This also includes marketing material development such as external emails, content marketing, print collateral, presentations, RFP content, videos, demos and other out-of-the-box deliverables whose effectiveness can be measured
- Builds an ethnography capability to “sit” in our clients’ and customers’ seats to understand the ways they work and make buying decisions, and uses this information to counsel on most appropriate communications strategies to achieve business objectives.
- Ensures consistent marketing and communications programs by leveraging all available marketing tools and mediums/technologies; make recommendations for new and innovative tools
- Provides cross-functional project management leadership to develop, create, and execute marketing initiatives and campaigns on tight timelines
- Partners with Voice of Customer marketing lead and UX teams to write and design for emotion and human behavior, in addition to functionality; appropriately integrate customer feedback into innovation agenda and Voluntary story execution
- Takes the initiative to identify needs and develop realistic and creative solutions
- Actively manages multiple projects, timelines, vendors and budgets
- Supports the Voluntary presence on thehartford.com including overall strategy, content creation, reporting
- Partners with Creative Services team and prepares creative briefs to provide direction on design concepts and collateral
- Partners with Enterprise Marketing to support Voluntary campaign management, execution and brand alignment
- Partners with Sales to ensure marketing strategies are socialized with the broader organization; could include contributing to Voluntary Leadership Meetings or Business Operating Review Meetings; participates in Sales training
- Mentors junior staff members and shares Voluntary best practices
- Supports iMarket collateral system ensuring compliant management
- Supports stewardship and finalist presentations, as needed, to drive sales opportunities
- Remains current on competitor press releases, new product announcements, marketing and positioning of product and services, competitor thought leadership
- Partners with fellow marketing team members to ensure business marketing initiatives appropriately align to overall GB strategy and marketing plans
- 4 year degree in Marketing experience required (MBA or MA advanced degree preferred).
- A minimum of 5-10 years of related work experience in Marketing required, with significant expertise in B2B marketing.
- Minimum of three years' experience in insurance, ideally focused on customer targeting, communication and retention, as well as sales engagement.
- Experience in a matrixed environment.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes – Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player – Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships – Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence – Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Females / Minorities / Veterans / Disability / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Expression / Religion / Age ** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
Assistant Director Marketing, Group Benefits - Voluntary Market - 1803994