Assistant Director, Financial Planning Services Operations
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This is a project funded role.
What's the role?
Financial Planning Services Operations (FPS) is a Shared Business Service that provides financial planning and investment services to the field. FPS continues to grow the number of financial representatives it supports as well as the number of services it provides to financial representatives. This role will play a key role in the growth and expansion of FPS. Recommends the strategic direction and goals of the operations to meet business objectives. Leads running and maturing the operations, including accountability for achieving goals for cost, quality and turn-around time. Identifies and implements appropriate staffing models, leveraging robotic process automation, and leading through CL&I principles and an agile methodology to scale and mature services. Leads and develops Operations Managers and other professional staff.
You will also:
- Serve as product manager for FPS operations, with responsibility for execution of the operating plan.
- Represent FPS operations within Career Distribution while building and maintaining relationships with leadership teams across products, field staff, agencies and operations.
- Support the enterprise efforts impacting growth in planning and sales as well as investments, by educating staff and helping to effectively manage change.
- Build an effective team committed to meeting departmental and organization goals. Foster collaboration and create a strong morale and spirit while hiring, coaching and developing staff.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis on business, investments finance or other related areas
- Ten plus years of operations management, including experience with implementing or influencing organizational structure models, as well as using CL&I principles, and agile methodology.
- Experience scaling an operations area to successfully achieve significant growth, highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically to include ability anticipate future consequences and trends accurately, broad knowledge and perspective; ability to articulate and paint credible pictures and vision of operational approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to independently lead and execute projects with cross-departmental impact.
- Experience managing and developing professional level staff, preferably including those with people management responsibilities.
- Strong organizational and communication skills are essential to success in the role, including excellent negotiation and persuasion skills.
- FINRA Series 7 and FINRA Series 24 required or must obtain within a 6 month period.
- Other FINRA licensing may be required.