This is a unique opportunity to be part of a talented group of economic development professionals working in the areas of business attraction, retention, and engagement. The Assistant Director, Business Investment will have four (4) direct reports and report to the BIG Director.
Major duties of this position include:
- Overseeing implementation of Arlington’s business attraction and retention programs, including setting long term and fiscal year strategies and managing team resources (budget and staff) to meet key performance goals;
- Managing and supervising a team of four (4) industry-focused business development managers to ensure team and individual performance goals are being met, including professional development opportunities;
- Generating qualified leads for business opportunities through organic efforts, strategic partnerships and lead generation services, including recruiting, negotiating with businesses and offering incentives as needed;
- Collecting business intelligence to inform which incentives, infrastructure, policy tools and marketing materials are needed to enhance AED’s recruitment and retention goals, including working with necessary stakeholders to ensure their creation;
- Working with BIG’s Business Intelligence team to ensure materials produced are compelling in terms of data and messaging and that projects follow the appropriate process and timeline (financial incentive proposals, board reports, grant-related documents, marketing materials, newsletters, etc.);
- Developing and maintaining relationships with strategic partners in the business, real estate, economic development and academic communities;
- Representing BIG and AED in various internal and external forums (County leadership, Chamber of Commerce, VEDP, VEDA, NAIOP, NOVA EDA); and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience:
- Managing a business development (sales/marketing) or client retention team;
- Working with commercial real estate professionals, high growth companies and startups across various sectors and understanding their business needs and growth cycles;
- Implementing best practices when it comes to lead generation, business development and marketing, including operational protocols and stewardship of performance metrics;
- Establishing a professional network and building relationships with company decision makers, real estate and site selection professionals;
- Leveraging social media marketing and other communication efforts to reach target audiences, build brand awareness and develop a strong following;
- Communicating and engaging with C-suite decision makers in the business, real estate and site selector communities.
Minimum: A Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Business Administration, Real Estate, or other closely related field, PLUS significant senior level experience in business development, real estate development or economic development, including marketing, budget, and sales.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience can be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirables: Preference may also be given to candidates with a Master's degree in related field and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Coordinating or supervising a business/marketing team;
- Significant project management;
- Managing daily operations of business development functions;
- Knowledge of Salesforce or similar CRM; and
- Public speaking/presentation experience.