Under direction of the Dean, School of Continuing Studies, the Assistant Dean of Learning and Student Supports performs a wide variety of administrative duties in support of, but not limited to, the overall operations of the student support services, its staff, programs, and internal and external partners, as well as collaborate with the campus leadership team in supporting student-centered learning environment, including curricular and co-curricular-engagement.
The Assistant Dean is a contributing member of the SCS leadership team and is responsible for developing and implementing the Student Success and Equity plan unique to SCS degree programs. The incumbent will collaborate with Program Directors to increase faculty-student engagement that aids in retention, provide adjunctfaculty coaching in diversity and equity as it relates to curriculum, work withadmissions/enrollment staff to design effective and engaging orientation programs, and direct staff to ensure student supports that meet the needs of all students, across a variety of modalities.
Student Learning and Student Supports
- Develop and oversee student support services.
- Assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive Student Success and Equity plan unique to the School.
- Coordinate evaluation and improvement systems, including program review and assessment of student learning and engagement, as well as student persistence, completion and competency-based placement process.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to support innovation in andragogy/pedagogy and help design opportunities for project-based and competency based learning opportunities.
- Assist in monitoring class instruction to ensure students receive high quality learning experiences which contribute to the achievement of the competency-based goals established by the University.
- Assist in the facilitation of curriculum, pedagogy/andragogy and assessment, as well as reviewing performance evaluations and utilizing them to shape faculty feedback and review, training, and professional development.
- Collaborate with Campus leadership team in supporting student-centered learning environment, including curricular and co-curricular engagement.
- Collaborate with Program Directors, provide continuous mentoring and coaching of adjunctfaculty across the system that assures high levels of faculty-student engagement, faculty mentoring of students, and faculty development with specific lens on diversity, equity and justice.
- Collaborate with Enrollment and Admissions departments to advance student access and recruitment.
- Supervise the day to day School of Continuing Studies student support operation.
- Responsible for the student services budget including tracking, reporting, and authorizing expenditures. Evaluate the return on investment of individual efforts to assure financial and staff resources are efficiently and thoughtfully allocated.
- Evaluate the need for and employ technology to facilitate the collection of data, meet the transactional expectations of students, and assist in managing the individual tasks in the office.
- Oversee Civitas, student planner, and degreeaudit to ensure its effective use; utilize data for earlier intervention and deployment of student supports.
- Supervise and provide direction to the student services and instructional support teams.
- Recruit, interview and recommend appointment of departmental hires. Review and enforce all union contracts that pertain to staff. Establish a nimble team environment where staff feel valued, communicate easily with each other and are supported in their development as professionals.
Master's degree, preferably in a student services, marketing or a related field.
At least five to seven years of progressive, hands-on admissions and higher education experience.
Strong interpersonal skills and customer service orientation with the ability to convey and obtain information amongst a variety of audiences such as students, parents, alumni and staff.
Excellent time management skills, ability to prioritize multiple projects, meet deadlines and adept at shifting skills to accommodate changing priorities with the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Proven ability to function independently with a minimum of supervision and take the lead in projects as appropriate.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
Available to work nights and weekends.
Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Valid driver's license.