The Assistant Dean for International Student Services will report to the Associate Dean for International Programs and contribute considerably to the institutional vision for International Student Services. The Assistant Dean manages daily operations of the International Student Services unit and supervises immigration advising, programming and services provided to the international population, as well as the SEVIS database. The Assistant Dean for International Student Services plays a significant role in advocating for the needs of the international population, which has grown substantially over the last five years, now totaling nearly 400 students.
This position supervises a full time International Student Services Advisor and several student worker positions.
The individual in this position will be expected to work occasional evenings and weekends related to programming and emergencies critical to the position.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Develop and oversee programs and services provided to the international population including International Student Orientation, cultural programming, tax/employment workshops, etc., and other programs in support of international student success.
- Perform and manage immigration advisement; Oversee I-20 issuance, the SEVIS database, as well as matters of institutional compliance as the immigration specialist on campus.
- Advocate for the unique needs of the international population through relationships with key offices on campus as well as committee work.
- Serve as the primary contact for International Student Services with administrative offices campus-wide.
- Collaborate with the Office of Admission to ensure a seamless enrollment for new international students.
- Identify and address issues of importance affecting the international population on an on-going basis.
- Partake in the assessment of international students' experiences to inform services and programming offered.
- Engage in diversity programming for the campus community through committee work; complete special research projects that influence departmental policy or services.
- Participate in on-going professional development to remain current and engaged in the field.
- To work very broadly with a wide variety of constituencies on campus and throughout the state/country, with a goal towards creating innovative programs in service of international student success.
- To embrace the opportunity for visionary leadership of the International Student Services area, recognizing the profound connection of international student success to the College's mission.
- To appreciate working in a team oriented environment.
- To embrace ambiguity and special circumstances when advising students on immigration matters while erring on the side of caution to minimize liability.
Minimum qualification include:
- A master's degree in a related field.
- At least two years of work experience advising international students/scholars.
- Familiarity with SEVIS and visa/immigration regulations affecting F-1 students.
- The ability to think critically in order to advise on immigration matters and troubleshoot student dilemmas.
- Experience working withundergraduate students.
- Knowledge of and personal experience with study abroad preferred but not required.
- A United States citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
Because this position requires driving for College business, the successful candidate must possess a U.S. or Canadian driver's license which has been valid for at least two years, have a driving record that is free from excessive motor vehicle violations within the last three years, and have had no convictions in the last 24 months for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.