We are looking for an Assistant Controller to direct and manage the day to day accounting operations to ensure the accuracy of Hayneedle's financial records and maintain/document internal controls over financial reporting, as well as ensure the custody of company assets, the integrity of the accounting systems and processes, and evaluate standards to minimize business and financial risk. The ideal candidate will be resourceful and adaptable, as well as able to maintain a high degree of flexibility. Must be able to succeed in a team based, collaborative culture where open communication, prudent risk taking and idea generation from all levels are encouraged and rewarded as part of the pursuit of corporate results. Must have the ability to establish credibility and be decisive, while at the same time recognizing and supporting company initiatives and priorities.
This role will report to the Controller and will be based at Hayneedle HQ in Omaha, Nebraska.
WHAT YOU WILL GET TO DO:
- Responsibility for overseeing timely and accurate transactional accounting processes including accounts receivable, cash receipts, accounts payable, inventory, fixed assets, lease accounting and intercompany transactions
- Ensure appropriate accounting treatment is applied to all relevant areas including revenue recognition, vendor funding, and internally developed software, as well as compiling the appropriate support for critical accounting estimates
- Ensuring baseline controls are implemented and operating effectively including identifying and evaluating opportunities to improve accounting process, internal controls over financial reporting and information systems
- Oversee the company's corporate credit card program and support time and expense reimbursements
- Manage the financial accounting systems underlying key financial information
- Complete monthly financial statements in accordance with GAAP and oversee all reporting to Walmart
- Support ad hoc Corporate/Parent Company information requests
- Provide accounting and controls support for key business initiatives
- Partner with Finance to understand and document variances to both forecast and our annual operating plan. Identify and resolve unusual items as needed and communicate financial risk early and often to ensure potential impacts are properly considered by Finance
- Work with Walmart Global Business Services to ensure compliance with agreed-upon service levels
- Coordinate legal review of contracts/agreements, assess legal exposure and maintain repository of all company contracts
- Communicate with key stakeholders, vendors and landlords
- Develop direct reports and others by setting and communicating guiding goals, measuring accomplishments, holding associates accountable, diagnosing strengths, weaknesses and potential, giving useful feedback, delegating and developing with available opportunities
WHO YOU ARE:
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience in accounting/finance roles is required, with at least 2 of those years in a leadership role.
- Public accounting experience (Big 4 desirable but not required)
- Experience in a corporate retail environment is preferred, but not required
- Must possess strong project management, strategic thinking and problem solving skills and be highly organized and detail oriented. Plus have a strong work ethic with high personal initiative.
- Strong communication and writing skills - document key accounting positions, procedures, or update communications to key stakeholders.
- Must be extremely self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and innovative. Must be hands-on and results-oriented, as well as be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, multiple-priority environment.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of disciplines and personalities.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, provide innovative solutions and develop business opportunities within the boundaries of prudent risk
- MS Office skills, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook, required
- Experience with Oracle EBS a plus
- CPA designation desired
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required
- Extensive knowledge of accounting and finance with a "finger on the pulse" of the industry
- Intellectually curious with strong analytical skills and an exceptional ability to communicate new ideas and findings
- A good balance of analytical and creative thinking with prowess in analyzing and interpreting complex data
- Team player who is a self-starter and is able to thrive in fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Able to maintain reliable and consistent attendance