Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Controller, the Assistant Controller leads and supervises accounting staff and directs various accounting functions. Conducts, evaluates and makes improvement to accounting processes while ensuring that practices comply with organization accounting policies and applicable laws and regulations.
Essential Functions of The Job
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the general ledger structure and financialreporting
- Manages accounting staff in day to day performance of their job.
- Manages various accounting functions efficiently as assigned, which may include Ledger Maintenance, Accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense management, revenue reporting, payroll, state and other licensure, commissions and asset accounting.
- Assists the Controller in daily banking activity
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting in the monthly and year end close.
- Assist Controller in supporting a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Evaluates and makes improvements to accounting processes while ensuring that practices comply with organization accounting policies and applicable laws and regulations.
- Researches financial record-keeping and reporting requirements and ensures that systems are modified to meet these requirements.
- Utilizes internal and external software to manage accounting and financial duties
- Attends and directs department and company meetings.
- Ensures timely payment to vendor invoices and expense vouchers and maintains accurate records and control reports.
- May assist with preparation of materials for shareholders and executives.
- Manages and training departmental staff to ensure optimal knowledge and awareness of processes.
- Sets goals, milestones and objectives for accounting staff and self.
Marginal Functions of The Job
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Standard business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Additional time outside of these hours may be needed to complete the essential functions of the job.
Education, Training, And Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited institution. Equivalent field of study with at least 5 years of progressive experience in related areas also considered.
- CPA License required.
- 3 years of public accounting experiencepreferred.
- Demonstrated evidence of knowledge and continued training in Payroll, Accounts PayableAccounts Receivable, Asset Management, Accounting and Finance, Management, Training, and Development.
- Intermediate competency with payroll systems software, database management and other human resource information record keeping systems and excellent computer skills in Microsoft environment (Microsoft Office Suite – Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access).
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification
- CPA License
Other Characteristics of The Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Regularly required to talk or hear
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation
- Performs repetitive routine tasks
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards
- Perform tasks that vary little from day to day
- Implements others’ decisions/procedures with little judgment required
- Must relay information orally
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
- Travel may be required
- Internal: Daily contact with professional staff members, and contracted field staff.
- External: Regular contact with vendors.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of “Avant” employee information and maintain security of such information
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required