Balfour Beatty Rail (BBR), is currently undertaking the electrification of the 52-mile Caltrain rail corridor between San Francisco and San Jose; laying the foundations for the future operation of high speed trains. BBR is seeking a highly qualified Assistant Construction Manager (Rail) in San Mateo, California. This position will assist in the day to day construction management of the project in terms of safety, quality, environment, engineering/ design compliance, etc. Assist in the decision making and recommendations that can greatly affect profitability of assigned area.
- Comply with construction management processes and effectively implement them.
- Assist the Construction Manager in review of construction documents including reviews of drawings and cost estimates, as well as checking the evolving drawing against on-site conditions and overall constructability issues.
- Provide input to the project works, particularly advice regarding construction/ implementation/ constructability, attendance at pre-possession planning meetings, construction/implementation review meetings, etc.
- Evaluate the progress on site against the program and agreed milestones. Use this information to provide accurate updates to the project team. Participate in review of long term scheduling effort and required deliverables needed for successful project execution.
- Assist with establishing effective project governance, processes and systems to be utilized throughout project.
- Participate in suitable inspections/ audits for the project works being managed in regard to safety, quality, environment, engineering/ design compliance, functionality, and commissioning.
- Keep suitable records for the project works being managed and communicate information regarding construction management to the rest of the project team in a timely and effective manner.
- Review regular cost reports and utilize data for improving field productivity.
- Identify areas where a 'continuous improvement' approach to construction management could bring benefit.
- Minimum of 10 years of construction Project Management experience in commercial or civil projects.
- Must be able to work frequent nights and a weekend work schedule.
- Willing to relocate to Balfour Beatty San Mateo jobsite, if not local to the San Mateo, California area.
- Local qualified candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Bachelors Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business or related field preferred
- Relevant experience in transit or rail construction management highly preferred.
- Understanding of the health and safety legislation, regulations and industry practices of the rail industry.
- Demonstrable experience of the implementation of health, safety, environmental and quality management processes.
- Contract and commercial awareness.
- Effective communication skills.
- Mentor team of project engineers.
- Ability to operate effectively in the site environment.