American National is seeking an Assistant Chief Underwriter for our League City, TX location. This role is Accountable for the effective risk appraisal and underwriting decisions for both Individual health products and worksite products. This includes applications for new business, internal replacements, reinstatements, and policy changes that result in increased liability to the Company.
- Advise and assist underwriters in the selection of risks that will predictably result in satisfactory business by Company standards.
- Participate in post issue investigation for contestable health insurance policies.
- Increase the agent’s and field management’s understanding of the risk selection process by working closely with Marketing and individual agents.
- Conduct operations within established budget guidelines.
- Minimum of six to eight years actual underwriting risk selection and risk management. Knowledge of risk factors, particularly medical terms and conditions and their effect on morbidity assumptions. Experience in underwriting applications from the worksite and older age markets.
- College degree, college courses or professional insurance designation required.
- Strong technical background in all facets of underwriting with thorough knowledge of the health insurance industry, underwriting practices and procedures.
Computer literacy with proficiency in Legacy systems, personal computers, Office, email, and Internet applications.
- Expert problem solving skills.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain productive relationships within the company and with marketing representatives.