The Assistant Chief Nursing Officer (ACNO) assists the CNO in executive-level management of resources, strategic planning and development of policies and procedures which ensure congruence with the mission and vision of the organization. The ACNO has operational and functional responsibility for a group of patient care areas and/or special projects or initiatives. . He/she assists in the design, measurement, monitoring and implementation of programs to improve patient care as measured by improved clinical outcomes, improved efficiency of resource use and improved patient, employee and physician satisfaction. He/she will serve as the representative of Nursing in the absence of the CNO. The ACNO will develop communication, knowledge, leadership, professionalism, and business skills necessary to advance to a CNO.
- Serves as a role model for hospital employees in professional behavior and accountability.
- Communicates effectively in all manners of communication.
- Participates in recruiting, interviewing, evaluating, and hiring personnel to meet staffing needs.
- Fosters independence and autonomy in all staff members in areas of responsibility. Actively seeks those activities which promote/encourage independent thinking/problem solving behaviors
- Provides administrative oversight of assigned functions of the Chief Nursing Officer
- Manage personnel processes, including performance evals/ recruitment, selection, training and education for all assigned areas.
- Prepares and presents business communications including meeting agendas, presentations and reports.
- Uses factual data to produce and deliver credible and reliable reports
- Communicates clearly and concisely with internal and external customers. Facilities constructive interactions with staff, patient families and medical staff.
- Conflict resolution and grievance procedures.
- Utilizes collaborative techniques for engaging and working with physicians.
- Demonstrates effective team building skills. Ability to create, participate and lead teams.
- Communicates effectively being sensitive with diverse cultures both internal and external.
- Supports the BMSH/Ardent Misson, Vision and Standards of Performance
- Supports Customer Service Program with emphasis on providing a great place to work for our employees and a great place for all customers.
- Works collaboratively with leaders, staff and physicians in the review of Patient Experience, Employee Engagement and Physician Satisfaction with Nursing services. Researches, develops, implements and monitors activities and strategies designed to enhance, improve and sustain gains with respect to Customer Service goals.
- Regularly rounds on key constituents (patients, families, employees, and physicians) to enhance communication, ensure alignment, oversee operations, and that the experience is exceptional
- Advocates for patients, families and communities served.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and maintenance of the hospital performance improvement program through evaluation of services rendered, quality improvement and regulatory compliance.
- Represents the nursing services at meetings as deemed necessary; participates with department leaders in designing and providing patient care and services, and the improvement thereof.
- Works collaboratively with other patient care and support departments, fostering a climate of open communication and mutual problem solving activities. Initiates and participates in joint performance improvement activities
- Knowledgeable of national quality and safety initiatives. Knowledgeable of CMS and regulatory agency standards.
- Develop and implement performance and process improvement programs.
- Participates actively in leadership development and nursing leadership succession planning.
- Assumes responsibility for continuing education and developmental needs
- Participates in professional organizations and community healthcare related organizations, shares Evidence Based Best Practices
- Assumes the role of preceptor/instructor for undergraduate or graduate nursing students upon request
- Participates in senior leadership meetings medical staff and Board of Trustee meetings, in the absence of the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Assists in developing and implementing overall nursing strategic plan consistent with hospital policies and objectives.
- Mentors, advises and coaches subordinates.
- Inspires individual and organizational excellence.
- Successfully manages change to attain the organization's strategic and financial goals.
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve and apply problem solving techniques.
- · Demonstrates ability to prioritize as needed to ensure critical functions are maintained, repaired or enhanced
- Assumes an active role in hospital and Nursing operations
- Develops, implements, and interprets nursing and patient care policies, objectives, and standards for measurement and maintenance of nursing budget, expense control, productivity and quality nursing care.
- Organizes, directs and supervises daily nursing services to assure adequate staffing coverage for providing quality care.
- Evaluates long and short-range equipment and supply requirements for nursing care by forecasting service levels and quantity of materials on hand.
- Assesses capital and non-capital clinical needs for bedside nursing care with all clinical managers and make proposals to senior leadership
- Experience with business planning development, implementation and assessment.
- Understands basic financial and productivity measures. Able to interpret financial statements.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate information to support a decision or recommendation.
- · Ability to integrate information from various sources to make a decision or recommendation.
Req Number 7131
- Participates in development of new patient care programs for expansion of nursing care services in conjunction with growth initiatives; assessing clinical readiness, and assisting with implementation of action plans for improvement with the CNO.
- Represents the hospital (as appropriate) in health care programs and professional organizations and serves in a public relations capacity to stimulate professional and organizational growth.
- Adheres to ethical, legal and regulatory standards.
- Adheres to confidentiality principles and laws.
- Creates an organizational climate that encourages teamwork.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Master's Degree in Nursing, Health Care Administration, or equivalent. If Master's degree is in non-nursing program, a Bachelors in Nursing is required. Advanced certification in field of clinical specialty or Nursing Administration or Certified Nurse Leader preferred.
Minimum Qualifications A minimum of 5 years of management and supervisory nursing experience at manager or director level. Ability to apply technical and computer/software skills; some clerical skills. Good organization skills. Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Presents oneself in a professional manner through appearance and conduct.