About this job:
The Art Director will oversee end to end management of the creative design team to enhance the overall value of Ross and dd’s Home product.
- Lead design projects including Packaging and Graphics; including private label creation, extensions and refreshes; new unbranded packaging initiatives, graphic design for product.
- Manage the creative briefing process for all major design projects; ensuring that design deliverables meet requirements and objectives of each brief.
- Provide art direction for new product graphics, DesignLite. Ensure product graphics align with merchant creative brief; share learnings and process improvement recommendations with supervisor.
- Ensure brand integrity is maintained in packaging design across all private branded packaging (bird’s eye view of all designers’ work)
- Identify and present key market trends (packaging substrates, print processes, color and design trends) applicable to the business; and translate them into executable Ross packaging
- Provide high level art direction for photo-shoots; Train designers to provide shot direction and execute high quality photography for packaging
- Oversee packaging and graphic design from concept to final production; providing creative direction on all projects.
- Align team priorities with the business objectives to deliver high quality work on-time.
- Develop and implement process for vetting designs internally before presenting to the business.
- Provide creative solutions in meetings, as needed, to resolve design challenges between the Packaging Design team and merchants.
- Manage large packaging projects including costing exercises, design template creation, centralized printing, etc;
- Ensure team adheres to current processes, identifying opportunities for continuous improvement; create and propose process and tools to support design operations.
- Evaluate design team to understand current capabilities; recommend areas of focus based on ability to flex between packaging and graphic design.
- Manage and train team of designers; develop skills as needed to ensure flexibility; recommend development plans for each designer.
- Delegate projects to designers, setting a clear picture of desired results. (i.e. teach team how to approach projects, present/ sell communicate their designs to the business, how to diversify designs)
- Set milestone calendar and timing expectations for major design projects incorporating brief, internal and external reviews that hit desired product delivery timeframe
- Adjust to shifting priorities and the dynamic retail environment by flexing the team as needed to hit key milestones and deadlines
- Challenge teams to share inspiration, collaborate, stay on current trends and be able to weave them into their projects
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with cross-functional team leadership with a focus on merchant partners.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure projects adhere to calendar and communicate any risks or downstream implications
- Serve as a key point of contact and resource for overseas partners on major packaging or graphics-related projects or inquiries
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Packaging Design, Graphic Design, or related field.
- Minimum 10years of direct experience designing and managing packaging and graphics at a large retail or wholesale company.
- Proven leader and effective team manager
- Strong ability to collaborate with other colleagues.
- Strong aesthetic leadership; ability to inspire team
- Enjoys a diverse range of Design projects
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Maintains composure under pressure
- Proven track record of leading design projects that are on-brief, on-time and cost effective
- Highly Proficient with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Knowledge and/or experience with design for off price retailers or vendors a plus
- Knowledge and/or experience with packaging construction and/or engineering a plus
- Req. Number: 17003700