F+W Media’s Small Business Group seeks a highly motivated, disciplined creative for our Popular Woodworking and Horticulture brands. The art director is responsible for the big-picture design and day-to-day execution of Popular Woodworking magazine and books, Horticulture magazine, and their companion digital properties and ancillary materials, such as advertising and marketing collateral. You’ll work with two well-established, leading brands for passionate enthusiast audiences and the talented editorial teams who are equally passionate about serving those customers.
If this is you:
- Change is not a scary word to you. You thrive in an organization that constantly evolves.
- You jump at the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues on projects.
- People enjoy working with you because you exhibit tact, diplomacy and patience. An approachable nature is a must.
- You are crazy about designing. Like, really crazy about it!
- Motivated personality with a positive sense of urgency.
- You thrive on feedback
- An unwavering commitment to developing leadership skills
- You get geeked up about furniture and garden design, as well as access to our full wood shop.
What you’ll need to win:
- A totally killer portfolio.
- Thorough knowledge of print and digital production.
- Experience directing photo shoots. You give clear, friendly direction to photographers and others on set, and can prop appropriately for a target audience.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams, and to receive, interpret and implement feedback regardless of the source.
- We only hire nice people. You need to have an approachable, adaptable nature.
- Meticulous organizational skills. If you daydream about well-constructed file structure and consistent naming conventions we want to work with you.
- Extraordinary design taste and skill.
- You understand the importance of staying on budget.
- The usual computer skills: Adobe, Microsoft, Google, etc. Experience with Sketchup or another 3-D modeling progam is a huge plus.
- A BFA in graphic design (or equivalent) and 5-10 years print and digitalpublishing experience.
- Did we mention a good personality is a requirement?
Reaping the benefits of this job:
- This is an opportunity to shape the company’s future. You’ll help define brand positioning and build creative campaigns.
- Your voice will be heard. Good ideas come from everywhere and we want to hear them!
- You get to work with awesome people. Seriously, awesome.
- Oh yeah, and we’ve got really great benefits! 12 paid holidays, summer Fridays, health, dental & vision insurance just to name a few.