Henkels & McCoy, Inc. (H&M) is a leading utility construction firm providing critical infrastructure for the Power, Communications, Oil & Gas Pipeline, and Gas Distribution markets throughout North America. Founded in 1923, H&M brings yesterday’s experience to the evolving infrastructure needs of today. We consistently rank in the top ten of Engineering News-Record’s Specialty Contractors and have been recognized with an E.I. DuPont Safety Excellence Award for our safety performance. H&M is also a founding member of the ET&D Partnership, a collaborative industry partnership working to reduce fatalities, injuries, and illnesses in the electric line construction industry and is seeking an Area Manager for Power Operations in Northern California.
The Area Manager has overall profit and loss responsibility for a specific operating unit within Henkels & McCoy West Region Power Operations, and is responsible for both Transmission and Distribution projects - including overhead and underground construction, procurement, design and inspection, and related lines of work. The Area Manager also performs marketing and sales activities with help from the Director of Power Operations, Regional management, Business Development staff, and Corporate Headquarters.
Major Job Elements:
- Responsible for safe work practices and implementing company safety programs for all subordinates and throughout Area of responsibility.
- Develops and implements resource and production plans to meet customer needs.
- Makes contacts and develops business relationships with customers, unions, subcontractors, vendors, and industry associations.
- Travels to specific job sites as required depending on size, location, and issues.
- Reviews and develops the performance of all subordinates. In addition, conducts formal performance appraisals on direct subordinates.
- Establishes tracking methods and systems to measure and report crew productivity versus estimate and for reporting weekly job progress on lump sum, hourly, or unit price work. This includes determining, identifying, and correcting problem areas on loss or low profit jobs.
- Directs the day-to-day operations of construction projects.
- Approves weekly payroll and equipment reporting for the entire Operating Unit.
- Manages the equipment fleet, maximizes utilization and coordinates maintenance.
- Manages and Controls the procurement, use and application of tools.
- Manages labor and maintains relations with IBEW Local Unions regarding hiring, terminations, and grievance resolution within the Area. Also deals with related inside electrical and othertrades unions where appropriate.
- Develops bids and proposals for opportunities in the Power market.
- A least 10 years of supervisory experience in construction within the power utility business required.
- Proven track record of running a large organization or project required.
- Formal training in management, supervision, and administration required.
- The ideal candidate would be a journeyman lineman, and/or have a college degree with extensive field experience in the power industry.
- Experience working with Pacific Gas & Electric, as a customer strongly desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Minimum of a high school education is required