The Area Manager (AM) is responsible for leading a team responsible for the account management, strategy implementation, and planning within an independent market geography. The AM is responsible for an assigned market, including implementation of internal business initiatives, and improving process efficiencies in addition to developing and sustaining strong hotel partner relationships within the assigned area. This includes driving key activities that support Expedia’s revenue goals and strategic objectives. The core focus for this position is day to day management of a team within defined markets by managing broader regional responsibilities and individually managing a small number of key accounts in the designated area.
• Manage a team including Market Managers, Associate Market Managers, Market Associates in the assigned market.
• Manage a small number of key accounts and local chains HQ relationships in designated area/country(s)
• Continuously coach and provide best practices and recommendations to direct reports; improve team productivity and effectiveness by systematically building the skills and capabilities of the team members
• Contribute to cross functional Expedia business initiatives; provide input to LPS central Biz Dev teams through initiation and planning stages to proactively anticipate market impact and shape up optimized roll out plans
• Provide ongoing input to Senior management in developing effective and scalable solutions to improve process efficiencies
• Develop and sustain strong partner relationships by delivering superior consulting services through regular partner contact and delivering value added services
• Develop & drive sound recommendations/action plans based on insights from data analysis to optimize hotels in the Expedia market place and their lodging market overall
• Represent Expedia in the local market, build Expedia’s company profile with key local influencers (e.g. tourism bureau, hotel association, etc.) and provide expertise to the local industry
• Promote Expedia’s full suite of products offerings and key initiatives to partners and educate them on the full use of our products and tools
• Lead the execution of overall market business plans to meet or exceed KPI metrics (targets, goals and/or strategic objectives) set by LPS leadership
• Effectively manage working relationships, team's productivity and morale despite internal or external pressures.
• Build and maintain a high quality team (e.g., through onboarding, managed attrition, skills transfer, addressing and identifying skill gaps etc.)
• Continuously improve collaboration with otherinternal functions, within LPS (e.g. GSO) and across Expedia.
• Other reasonable duties, as assigned
Supervision To Be Exercised
7-9 direct reports. Sr. Market Managers, Market Managers, Associate Market Managers and or Market Associates
Supervision To Be Received
Direct supervision from Director
Required Skills & Experience
• 4-6 years’ experience and college/university or Masters degree; degree in Hospitality, Tourism or Business Administration is a plus but not required
• Minimum travel of 25% will be required for market visits
Drive for Results
• High impact personality: intellectual agility, entrepreneurship, empathy in relationship, team player
• Hungry, ambitious, motivated, action-oriented, results-focused and metrics-driven
• Organization and time management skills, rigor, attention to details
• Proven follow-up/persistence when facing challenging situations
• Ability to multi-task effectively; must be able to change gears quickly without skipping a beat
• Integrates change processes with organizational business plan.
• Coaches team members in behaviors for personal effectiveness, results orientation.
• Sincere relationship builder; earns the confidence of others;
• Bridges and sustains productive and long term internal and external partnerships based on mutual support through a collaborative style
• Outstanding analytical and strategic thinking skills, including demonstrated general problem-solving skills and an intense curiosity to identify trends and ensuing business needs.
• Appetite for innovative technology, fast-changing business environment, data-driven decision making
• Demonstrates ability to prioritize work and be laser-focused on achieving a variety of KPIs (targets, goals and/or strategic objectives) set by LPS leadership team
• Ability to select and present insightful dataset including performance, market and competitor analysis and to implement meaningful action plans based on the data
Written & Spoken Communication, Listening and Influencing
• Proficiency in English. Otherlanguage skills may be required depending on the location of the position
• Presents ideas and directives clearly and persuasively; actively listens when spoken/presented to
• Ability to effectively communicate to various levels and through a variety of communication channels
• Ability to identify the decision-making style of stakeholders in order to influence direction of decisions even when holding a position contrary to the majority.
Build & Maintain Teams
• Able to work independently as well as be a strong team player, always seeking to improve team and organizational performance
• Demonstrated ability to motivate, coach and mentor a diverse and geographically fragmented team, effectively managing performance and mobilizing team and resources to achieve or exceed set goals
• Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams successfully in a fast-paced team environment