Area Business Manager
8 - 10 years experience • Agriculture
Position: Area Business Manager (Plant Nutrition-SE)
Location: Virtual Home Office (Must reside within Territory)
Compensation: Base Salary & Bonus Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Comprehensive Insurance, Relocation and Retirement Package
Relocation Assistance not available for this position
- As a member of the North American Plant Nutrition Team, the Area Business Manager (ABM) will be accountable for the delivery of area sales performance objectives of the Plant Nutrition Portfolio, across all brands and channels including responsibility for the budget for the sales activities in the geography.
- As a member of the product management team, the ABM will provide customer input to the product strategic plan as developed by the product management team and be responsible for the implementation of the plan with customers in the geography.
- Direct responsibilities include sales planning (at the area and territory level for the geography), sales resource management and management of sales staff, customer accounts and sales activities in the geography.
- As a member of the Plant Nutrition sales team the ABM will be interfacing, agronomy, marketing, product management and strategy, operations, equipment, customer care and various corporate functions.
- This role is a management level commercial role that will drive in-field sales activities that support high value customer activity and sales development including providing sales tools and resources, training and development of sales staff and product knowledge to customers as required.
- The ABM will have direct responsibility for the territory sales managers and staff and will lead the development and implementation of strategies to grow the region’s sales by retaining and expanding existing customers and attracting a significant volume of new business to meet the Plant Nutrition portfolio strategic plan.
- Achieving the overall objectives will require creativity and innovation to define and execute a geographical sales strategy based on value-add rather than traditional commodity based sales.
- The ABM will have supervisory responsibilities for the Sales Agronomist and report directly to the Vice President of Commerce for North America.
- Direct territory sales responsibility for the geography.
- Define and execute a sales strategy for the geography to retain and expand existing business accounts and attract a significant volume of new business.
- Ensure overall P&L management including achievement of margin, volume, revenue, and expense targets for the geography.
- Provide leadership and support to the sales team in the geography to achieve growth targets.
- Conduct appropriate and thorough analysis on the market, business, forecast, ‘look back’ and trends to provide input into the margin and price management for the geography, making recommendations on ways to improve at regular intervals.
- Responsible for sales excellence with respect to growing, acquiring, retaining and defending sales in the region at the channel and grower level.
- Lead training efforts of the regional team and peers as needed and provide coaching and resources and personnel performance reviews to develop regional team members to high performing individuals and a high-performing team.
- Manage/expand current distributionnetwork with emphasis on increasing the retail reach of our Plant Nutrition portfolio of products.
- Represent the geography of our business, including a full knowledge of the crops, cropping systems, irrigation systems, trends, issues, competition and opportunities that exist which drive the overall business performance across the geography.
- Work effectively with peers and colleagues in Sales & Marketing, Product Management and Strategy, R&D, Agronomy Customer Service and Plant Operations.
- Provide guidance to the Agronomy team in developing and managing research and field trials focused on key crops and geographies.
- Collaborate with product management and marketing to ensure product portfolio, programs and campaigns are effective for the geography.
- Develop and maintain an active demand plan and forecast for the geography to support the monthly Supply Operations, and Inventory Planning process.
- Obtain prompt and thorough feedback from customers regarding field market development input on new products or programs.
- Develop and present requisite market intelligence to enable business plan success.
- Actively engage in appropriate industry associations as required.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and experience and a minimum of 7years of experience with 5years of management experience.
- PreferredBachelor’s Degree in agricultural business or equivalent education and experience; MBA preferred.
- Preferred minimum of ten years sales and business management experience with successful development and execution of sales growth strategies.
- Experience leading a team and a career history of consistently achieving challenging sales targets.
- Collaborative leadership style, with demonstrated strong focus on creating value and focusing on results.
- Proven track records in sales force excellence: designing and executing sales strategies (account planning, forecasting, growth activation).
- Understanding of financial statements, key drivers of revenue and costs, margin management.
- Strong strategic thinking, planning and execution skills.
- Demonstrated clear and effective decision making.
- Past success in developing/coaching sales and other personnel.
- Strong demonstrated analytical skill set utilizing MS Excel, E1, or business planning software.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and share results with MS PowerPoint using charts, graphs, and summarizing data.
- Ability to influence, motivate and develop personnel.
- Superior customer facing interactions, including ability to influence both external and internal customers.
- Strong selling skills and demonstrated effectiveness in value add sales and marketing.
- Problem solving skills to identify complex drivers and potential solutions.
- Experience in the use of Salesforce.com is preferred.
- Travel (50%) within region and as required for internal and external meetings and conferences. Company Vehicle provided.
- Computer Skills: PC proficient and ability to quickly master skills in an ERP system. Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft applications.
About The River Group
Resumes presented to The River Group are never submitted to a client company unless the candidate authorizes the submission of the resume and agrees to become a candidate for the position.
After your resume is submitted to the company you will be assisted in every way possible throughout the recruiting process, including preparation for the telephone and personal interview, gathering references, evaluating offers and managing the negotiations