Duties and Responsibilities
- Advance creative design direction for the project team. This could include but is not limited to; project pursuit, client meetings, stakeholder engagement and project delivery.
- Be an active listener and inspire project teams.
- May work in a supporting role to senior architectural designer on large projects by maintaining continuity of overall design intent.
- Supervise, plan, collaborate and review work with team members. This includes mentoring of staff on project teams.
- Provide innovative solutions that are sound, founded in deep architectural practice theory and consistently align with SERA's organizational mission, vision and core values.
- Understand how to rapidly explore a multitude of design options that solve design problems in various ways that are in compliance with applicable jurisdictional requirements.
- Actively engage with project team, consultants, clients, public entities, and the community at large when required to advance project design concepts and details.
- Deliver iterative design ideas that meet client project goals in addition to advancing cultural, and social needs of the greater community.
- Use the building code to develop architectural solutions. Provide code interpretations that are advantageous for the project and client.
- Understand and adhere to the project's contract requirements.
- Work to be recognized as an expert/leader and authority in the company in a broad area of expertise or in a narrow but narrowly specialized field.
- Be a resource to other SERA staff.
- Responsible for staying actively involved throughout the construction document process to support design development and delivery of projects.
- Must be cable of delivering conceptual design ideas with both graphic and written communication skillsets that is technical clear and concise.
- Shows an open and willing desire for teaching and mentoring junior designers.
- Fosters and advances a community design culture through commitment to design both inside and outside of the office.
- Provides constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Works with and supports marketing and business development efforts in the office.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Requires either a 5-year Bachelor of Architecture degree or a 6 year Masters of Architecture degree from an NCARB accredited university or international equivalent.
- Licensed Architect is preferred. Generally have 8+ years of experience.
- Candidate should have completed or be working on completion of the AXP requirements established by NCARB for architecture licensure in their base state.
- Candidate should have documented proof of design solutions including conceptual ideas, design development details and construction documents created as intern/project assist/project architect.
- Proficiency in Autodesk Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office Suite required.
- LEEP AP Preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses knowledge of the OSSC/ADAAG and the ability to achieve the intent of the code through, creative design solutions, variances and/or appeals.
- Possesses knowledge of other codes and/or guidelines such as NFPA, OSHA, FHA, ANSI, and the USGBC LEED Rating system.
- Knowledge of Sketchup, Rhino, Grasshopper, and hand graphic skills preferred.
- Advanced ability to communicate through verbal, written and graphic communication formats.
- Strong design skills required.
- Ability to objectively analyze and document critical items for project sites that should serve as the foundational basis for place-based design solutions.
- Ability to deliver innovative design and concept thinking skills in various graphic formats including both digital and hand drawings.
- Ability to work independently or in a collaborative team that is highly productive and effective.
- Ability to advance personal and team member growth in line with SERA goals and mission.
- Ability to design innovative process delivery methods that match the needs of the client and or project.
- Ability to engage and coordinate cross discipline expertise within other SERA staff including but not limited to Urban Planning, Interior design, Landscape Architecture, and SURG (sustainability resources group).
- Familiarity with trends in the A/E/C industry.