Battelle’s Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Business Line is currently seeking candidates for a full time, permanent position as an Applied Virology Research Scientist. This full-time position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
- Support the design, execution, and reporting of laboratory experiments in virology, microbiology, biochemistry, and molecular biology within structured regulatory and quality frameworks (e.g. Select Agent regulations, ISO 9001).
- Conduct applied microbiology research, focused on virology.
- Support Research, Development Test and Evaluation (RDT&E) projects in bio-decontamination, viral inactivation, bioaerosol and viral persistence.
- Perform experiments independently and under the guidance of senior scientists, including procedures (e.g., viral propagation, isolation, and characterization, cell culture maintenance and development of new protocols, mammalian transfection, VLP/Pseudovirus and RNA viral reverse genetics approaches).
- Select and develop technical approaches/solutions on complex assignments with occasional oversight. Developing new assays independently and under the guidance of senior scientists
- Oversee technical efforts including: conducting technical work, producing quality results, preparing technical reports, and generating technical presentations within budget and schedule
- Assisting in preparing scientific journal publications and presenting at professional meetings
- Assisting in the development of proposals, marketing plans and identifying business opportunities
- Foster effective project teams across the group. Train, mentor, and lead junior technical staff
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- A Ph.D. (or MS and 5 years’ experience) in virology, biochemistry, molecular biology or a related field.
- Experience in laboratory-based studies
- Foundational knowledge and interest in mammalian virology and molecular biology, including decontamination testing, persistence studies, viral culture and troubleshooting.
- Proactive approach to problem solving and commitment to achieving quality results on schedule.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams
- Experience training less experienced staff in laboratory techniques
- Sole U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory to perform assigned duties including the ability to wear personal protection equipment (PPE), lift up to 50 pounds, participate in vaccination programs as needed, and work in the proximity of hazardous/infectious materials
Some domestic travel is possible.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- PhD in virology;
- Experience with coronavirus or influenza virus;
- Experience leading viral persistence and/or decontamination testing;
- Experience working within laboratory quality management systems (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO17025, GLP)
- Biosafety level 3 and Select Agent experience;
- Experience developing new technical procedures