Lyons Consulting Group (LYONSCG) is a leading digital agency and global commerce service provider. From creative to technology to marketing, we offer a comprehensive set of services to help retailers and brands craft successful digital commerce strategies, put them into practice, and continually optimize them for long-term success. LYONSCG is part of the Capgemini Group.
The Applications Engineer develops, or assists in developing quality software that meets the functional and non-functional project requirements in the implementation, enhancement and support of ecommerce platform centric projects. This includes producing application code on-time, on-budget, and in compliance with LYONSCG implementation standards & practices as well as general industry & platform-specific best practices.
Application Engineers are helping to solve complex tasks on the project. Team Leads (TL) and Senior Application Engineers will work closely with Associate Application Engineers on developing solutions for the defined tasks.
The Application Engineer is expected to:
- learn the ecommerce platform (e.g. Demandware, Magento, hybris, etc.), earn the platform Developer certification, and become proficient in the platform API, management tools, and capabilities
- use this knowledge to plan, write, and test code to meet the requirements of tasks assigned, based on the technical specification for the task provided by the Technical Architect, Technical Lead, or Application Coordinator
- customize the platform’s prototype solutions to build fully functioning ecommerce sites on desktop, tablet and mobile devices
- use object oriented techniques to create reusable, easy to maintain code
- all code must conform to platform-specific & industry best practices, the LYONSCG code standards, and perform well under load.
Back-End focused Application Engineer works more on the business logic, real-time and back office integrations, using platform technology and API to manipulate data, integrate with external services and create jobs for processing data.
The Application Engineer works on tasks under the supervision of a Technical Team Leader or Senior Application Engineer, and participates as an active team member in daily scrums as part of our agile software development methodology.
The Application Engineer will be part of the platform development team, contributing to the team’s success through knowledge sharing in daily team building activities and weekly code presentations, as well as collaborating on internal initiatives as requested.
The Application Engineer records all time spent on all tasks in the project management and timekeeping systems.
From a Functional Perspective, the Application Engineer is responsible for:
- Understand the project documentation:
- Develop and Test software code as directed by the Team Lead/Technical Architect.
- Functional Requirements
- Technical Design
- Technical Feature Guides
- Understand the User Stories and Tasks that have been created in TeamView. The Application Engineer communicates any questions to the TL/TA/PM for resolution.
- Attends and participates in all Project Execution meetings: Sprint Planning, Daily Scrums, Dev Kick Off, Sunset Meeting
- Communicates with Team Members on both progress and impediments. Communication is critical. Use TeamView and update Tasks with critical communications.
Learn how the SDLC is implemented inside TeamView. Responsible for:
- Understanding the User Stories and Tasks that have been created
- Create and Update Tasks
- Create Test Cases inside Tasks – For complex Tasks
- Enter in Time Estimates
- Enter in Actual Time
- Learns Code Repository Theory (e.g. Gitflow)
- Learns use of SVN and GIT commands for Engineering
Lyons Delivery Process:
- Sunset Meeting
- QA Review Meetings
- Daily Scrums
- Sprint Planning
- Post Discovery Review
- Learns and adheres to the current version of the Lyons Delivery Process
- Answer all communications (phone calls, emails and other communiqués) in a timely fashion, but in no event more than 24 hours from the receipt of a communication
- Inform the Project Manager and respective Technical Architect of critical project issues within the same business day that such issues arise
- Ensure time reporting and expense reporting is performed in a timely fashion, and as required by LCG accounting
- Perform all work in a professional and expeditious manner with an eye toward uncompromising customer service
- Creates and submits own individual time sheets on a weekly basis in compliance with LYONSCG policies & procedures.
- Creates and submits own individual expense reports in compliance with LYONSCG policies & procedures.
Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
* This list of essential responsibilities and functions is not exhaustive. LYONSCG reserves the right to supplement this list, particularly if the scope of duties in this position changes.
Education, Training, and Experience
B.S. Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent Experience
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to learn andapplynew skills quickly, including:
- web application development for the relevant focus (i.e. Front-End or Back-End) and platform (i.e. Hybris)
- Proficient in LESS, JQuery and other CSS preprocessors.
- Some experienceworking with JSP and TAG files.
- Basic knowledge of Impex, must be able to explain what impex does and talk about how the impex process works.
- version control through SVN and/or Git – including merging code.
- document complex functionality in code and documentation.
- follow development standards.
- Object-oriented programming concepts
- MVC paradigm.
- Ability to obtain the relevant platform (i.e. Hybris) within 3 months of hire.
- Good problem-solving skills, creative thinking, critical thinking.
- Good communication skills – verbal and written (documentation, code, email, etc.)
- Good interpersonal skills & good team player.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Motivated to meet and exceed goals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as appropriate.