We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world through professional and university channels and then solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including Internet of Things, internet infrastructure, industrial automation, consumer and automotive. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company.
Meet the Team:
Are you a real gadget geek, looking for the chance to work on cutting edge IoT technologies? This is the chance to be at the absolute forefront of the IoT industry!
The IoT Product Applications (15.4 Mesh) team is as diverse as the customers and products we support - small enough to share two pizzas, yet we represent a wide range of technical skills and multiple cultures and languages. We interface with various internal development, marketing, and business teams to understand problems and solutions holistically. We value individual drive and strengths as much as we value collaboration. We lead investigations as well as answer questions. We specialize in solving the most complex problems for the most impactful customers who use our IEEE 802.15.4 mesh networking solutions (e.g. Zigbee, OpenThread). We sharpen our tools every day.
What You Will Do
Primary activities include creating collateral and new example application code on new software features and alpha software, working with internal teams on improving software quality and developer experience via early feedback from the customer perspective, and providing advanced technical product support to customers as well as other customer-facing support teams on software design for Silicon Labs’ wireless products offering. A wide range of technical activities is involved in this role:
- Helping improve wireless software product quality and developer experience by providing technical feedback to internal development teams via requirements review, test plan review, pre-release technical evaluation, bug reporting, etc.
- Creating example software to demonstrate features
- Designing, writing, and reviewing application notes and technical articles, especially on new product launches and new software releases
- Creating and delivering technical training to various internal teams as well as customers
- Providing mesh networking technical support on complex networking software issues, which often involves (although not limited to) analyzing network packet trace and debug log, reproducing the networking software issue and systematically narrowing down to possible networking protocol layer or embedded software component via gathering further evidence and designing additional tests
- Senior members of the team are expected to lead with advanced knowledge in engineering principles and methodologies, and drive urgent, complex, or cross-functional projects and customer issues to closure
What Skills You Need
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineer, or equivalent, and at least 5 years of experience in embedded design, software development in wireless industry or from a similar (field) applications engineer role.
- Strong software programming skills (C language strongly preferred, plus proficiency in at least one other programming or scripting language)
- Knowledge of software programming tools (IDEs, programmers, and debuggers)
- Strong understanding of the relationship among software programming and debugging tools, embedded firmware development, IC design and board level device design
- Understanding of networking concepts (wired or wireless protocols, OSI model, etc.)
- Experience with analyzing network packet trace and debug log
- Experience with the use of laboratory equipment and measurement techniques (e.g. signal generators, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, multimeter, etc.)
- Experience with software version control systems such as Git
- Ability to write high quality technical documents and conduct technical training
- Ability to troubleshoot technical problems at a system-level (for example: methods to determine if something is a software or hardware problem; narrow down a complex software problem to most likely software components of root cause; adjust path of investigation based on evolving technical evidence and other factors) as well as the ability to debug a specific problem within an embedded software component
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience working with standards-based embedded wireless technologies (Zigbee or OpenThread strongly preferred)
- Experience with IP networking protocols
- Experience with Linux and embedded OS environments such as Raspbian, AndroidOS, FreeRTOS, or MicriumOS/µCOS
- Experience with Agile methodology