POSITION SUMMARY: The Application Engineer responds to projects and serves as a liaison between customers and technical service, sales, research and development, and related departments to ensure product and operational needs are met. Responsibilities may include performing fundamental project management, providing equipment, technical and operational guidance to customers, and interfacing with several company divisions. The Applications Engineer operates under general supervision, working with less advanced or complex technologies, and applying general quality and analytical tools. This class of employees is capable of line design.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists with establishing and serving customers, operates under general supervision and applies basic project management techniques, and responds to questions and concerns, communicates equipment and technical specifications, and establishes line and operational guidelines.
- Provides technical direction and assistance to customers on the application of the product lines; works with various locations on a project basis and/or based on technical expertise.
- Serves as a technical and operational advisor to customers, receives direction or guidance on complex issues, and applies general quality tools and analytical concepts to assist with improving product quality and efficiency.
- Serves as a liaison with sales by interacting with line and management personnel, developing a complete understanding of needs and operations, and providing information to sales, research and development, and technical service as required to satisfy customer needs.
- Provides general professional assistance when working with suppliers and vendors to review product specifications, new or updated equipment, and other activities to ensure the quality and efficiency of internal and customer operations and to facilitate new product development.
- May serve as a lead to lower level technical service representatives or other staff, which includes prioritizing and assigning work and determining work direction.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Two years of experience in troubleshooting paint line finishing equipment within a manufacturing environment and in managing projects.
- High school graduate or equivalent education and experience. Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Operations Management, or related field is preferred.
- Utilizing industry and product applications concepts and procedures;
- Understanding of advanced technical (lab, research, etc.) principles and practices;
- Understanding of applications equipment and specifications;
- Applying expert principles and practices within an area or general principles and practices in multiple service areas;
- Providing technical guidance and advice to improve quality and efficiency;
- Working with line and management personnel;
- Communicating technical and operational concepts to facilitate sales;
- Providing technical customer service;
- Working with multiple divisions of organizations (i.e. sales, tech service, research and development, operations, etc.);
- PC skills; Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); and other applications as required;
- Communicating with co-workers to provide and receive direction.