In the role of Electrical Application Engineer you are an integral part of both the Electrical & Electronic Solutions (EES) and Utility Power Solutions (UPS) teams and will support the product management and sales organizations within Anixter to ensure that our efforts in the market are met with success.
You will provide engineering support to the sales and product management teams, customers, and end-users in the development and implementation of customer applications.
Additional responsibilities include aiding in the quoting process, interpreting all electrical safety conformance requirements, assisting with detailed customer reports, and interpreting and validating assembly, manufacturing, and installation of construction drawings. You will visit customer sites and prepare customer presentations. You will be called upon to provide wire and cable and electrical solutions for Anixter’s customers.
Reporting directly to the Director of Engineering, the successful candidate for this position will possess
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Minimum 5 years electrical engineering experience in industrial, utility, or manufacturing environments. Experience in wire and cable (especially manufacturing wire and cable) and a professional engineering license is not required but is a plus.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret electrical single-line, schematic, and layout drawings
- Knowledge of low and medium voltage conductor sizing calculations such as voltage drop, short- circuit, ampacity analysis, etc.
- General or specific knowledge of electrical wire and cable, power, control, electronic and communications cable
- General or specific knowledge of electrical equipment such as motors, generators, transformers, motor control centers, switchgear, and electrical panels
- Knowledge of single-phase and three-phase low and medium voltage distribution systems
- Microsoft Office experience such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- A working knowledge of the National Electric Code (NEC) is not required but is a plus
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and ETAP software is not essential but would be an asset
Skills & Attributes:
- Strong detail-oriented and judgment skills
- English fluency, both verbal and written. Knowledge of other languages such as French and Spanish is a plus.
- Problem solving ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong initiative
- Ability to travel in North America to assist with sales pitches
- Ability to give technical presentation to end users or EPC contractors
- Ability to work with suppliers and execute sales strategy