About The Position
The Applications Development Specialist I is primarily responsible for designing, programming, implementing and maintaining computer information systems that provide support for functions within the Company.
Key responsibilities include:
• Under direct supervision and guidance, develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new and modifying existing software applications. May analyze system requirements and existing business processes and information systems.
• Design, program/develop, implement, and maintain computer information systems to provide support for a variety of functions within the company relating to confidential and non-confidential matters.
• Ensure data integrity and successful backup and restoration ability, monitor assigned systems and exercise good project management skills to ensure that changes are successfully implemented and monitored for effect.
• Typically assigned to smaller projects of a more narrow scope.
• May represent the department in various meetings.
• Keep abreast of current developments in computer hardware, software, and other office equipment. Prepare studies and make recommendations regarding utilization of such equipment and software.
• Develops applications in a way that complies with architectural standards and established methodologies and practices.
• Monitors and reports to management on project status and outstanding issues.
• Maintain a high degree of integrity to safeguard company position on confidential matters.
• Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Engineering, Business Administration or equivalent computer related degree from an accredited college or university.
• One or more years of relevant applications development experience required.
• Successfully passing a programming aptitude test is required.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Knowledge and experience with the following technologies may be required or preferred based on the position posted, and will be determined during vacancy scoping:
o Programming Languages: Visual Basic .NET, VB6, COBOL, C, JAVA, PowerBuilder
o Database Management: SQL, DB2, Oracle, Sybase, Access, IMS
o Tools: Visual Studio, Visual Source Safe
o Platforms: Windows, Unix, MVS (CICS, IMS DC), OS/2, AS/400
o Middleware: MTS/COM+, MQ Series, ASP.NET, Web Services, SOAP/XML
o Other programs, skills or tools for unique roles
• Good analytical, communication, leadership and human relations skills required.
• May be required to work off-hours for project needs, support/upgrade/outage reasons, and systems implementations.
• May also be required to carry an on-call pager or cell phone to provide the required system support (includes 24x7x365).