$100K — $150K *
Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2019 revenues of approximately $9.3 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
This posting is for an Applications Development Scientist in the Adhesives and Polymer Technology group located in Kingsport, TN for Eastman Chemical Company. The position will have responsibility for formulation and applications development primarily in support of developing businesses within Eastman related to polyolefins, specifically amorphous polyolefins, for use in Adhesives. This involves direct customer engagement in the development of new opportunities for Eastman's developmental materials. The ideal candidate will also have working knowledge of hydrocarbon tackifiers for use in hot melt adhesives, rubber modification markets and materials, and applications relevant to applying these materials. The selected individual for this position will also be responsible to translate market needs into product concepts and subsequently develop the concepts into commercial products. Candidates should be able to communicate effectively and function in an innovative, fast-paced, multidisciplinary team environment.
The selected individual for this position will be required to:
• Have a deep understanding of structure-property-performance attributes of polyolefin adhesive systems
• Have hands-on experience with design and formulation of polyolefin adhesive systems
• Strong knowledge of polyolefin adhesive markets and applications (ex. Hygiene, Packaging, Automotive, Wood Working, and other Durable Assembly applications)
• Translate fundamental knowledge to the development of new applications and the identification of new market platforms
• Understand end-user requirements and testing procedures to determine how Eastman product offerings can enhance adhesive applications and performance
• Identify needs and opportunities through direct interactions with customers, sales and marketing teams with the ability to translate those unmet needs into differentiated new product or service solutions
• Ability to work with and connect seemingly unrelated pieces of information
• Translate ideas and concepts into detailed technical work plans that allow a Technician resource to safely and effectively execute process chemistry or applications development
• Provide technical support for customer inquiries and complaints
• Assist customers with Adhesives formulations, application development and scale up
• Prepare technical presentations and supporting literature to enable customer engagement
• Protect intellectual property through patent applications and communicate relevant technical data through presentations at external customers’ sites
• Represent the company at industry events and other forums
• Lead multidisciplinary new product development project teams
• Travel (up to 25% of time) to Domestic and International locations under short notice
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
A Ph.D. or Master’s degree in Polymer Science/Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or related field from an accredited college or university.
The candidate should also possess:
• Minimum of 10 years of experience of industrial experience in the adhesives or polymers industries
• Demonstrated broad working knowledge in a wide range of polymer science skills including: structure-property relationships, polymer physics, characterization, mechanics of materials, and polymer testing.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Previous project leadership in an industrial setting is preferred.
Valid through: 3/14/2021
$80K — $100K
7 days ago