Application Support Engineer
We are a new team within Capital One, supporting our Program Management efforts with a strong focus on process automation for multiple lines of business. We are a technology-centric organization with a deep appreciation for entrepreneurs. We encourage the use of multiple technology stacks and disciplines to solve problems. As an Application Support Engineer you will be challenged with the responsibility of working on cutting-edge solutions in an advanced cloud environment. You will be relied on for guidance and leadership on our overall program as well as our product road map. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with passionate professionals in the technical support and developer community within Capital One. You will bring strong expertise in AWS and/or resolving application issues with our service platform. You will bring excellent communication skills, and a passion for documentation.
You will work with product owners to understand desired application/service capabilities and testing scenarios and continuously improve software engineering practices. You should be comfortable working in a near-start-up environment, preferably having done this before. As a self-starter, you should be comfortable working in a selfless team environment. Have an appreciation for diversity of thought, action and team complexion. We genuinely care about our team’s success and have built an environment that nurtures career growth, flexibility in tools, and product ownership.
What we need:
- We’re seeking talented Application Support engineers to help automate thousands of unique use-cases involving integrating multiple systems talking to each other, data transformation and storage, and decision-based escalation.
- This role leverages your system expertise configuring Kubernetes Make scripts, setting up load-balancers and CNAMES, and deploying Docker containers.
- Other responsibilities include parsing log files to extract key metrics needed for successful operations.
- Successful candidates will be strong with customer support on an enterprise level. You are a relationship builder.
- You are insatiably curious - you ask why, you explore, and are not be afraid to share your ideas.
- You are Passionate. Persistent. Creative. You find clever ways around problems, or just plow through them.
- You are a strong team player with a positive attitude.
- Last but not least, you love learning new technologies—we’re always evolving!
What you’ll do:
- Work within a team of like-minded professionals to test and support critical business applications for prod/non-prod AWS/GCP environments.
- Research and identify solutions to software and product issues
- Influence other teams and broader engineering groups in adopting cloud technologies, processes, and best practices.
- Work with service admin leaders in other groups to define and align on standard operating procedures and best practices
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues, driving resolution with a focus on minimizing impact to our customers.
- Provide on-call support and possibly some after-hours work as needed.
- Participate in a Kanban approach to development, testing, and release of new capabilities and features with focus on post-production support.
- Represent production support for the suite of apps in the domain in Agile stand-ups, planning sessions and deployment activities.
- Identify reoccurring issues and work with IT & Business partners to remediate using the problem management process.
- Ask customers targeted questions to quickly understand the root of the problem
- Track system issues through to resolution, within agreed time limits, supporting our SLA
- Properly escalate unresolved issues to appropriate internal teams (e.g. software developers)
- Document technical knowledge in the form of notes, manuals, and training videos.
- A Bachelors' Degree or Military Experience
- At least 2 years experience in Software Development
- At least 2 years of experience with customer support.
- Certified AWS Architect.
- At least 1 years of experience implementing automated environment delivery and developing automation workflows and routines.
- 1 year of experience with Open Source tools such as Chef or Jenkins.
- 2 years of Production Support experience in Unix/Windows environments.
- 1 year of experience with Linux, server automation and scripting.
- 2 years of experience with ITIL problem management and incident management processes.
- 1 year of experience with log monitoring tools such as Splunk or Elk.
- 1 year of experience with Container technology using Docker & Kubernetes
- 1 years of experience working with Agile Development Practices.
- 1 year experience in scripting languages with a focus on regular expressions (Python)
Job ID R48666