Under the direction of the CELS Deputy Director of IT, is responsible for leading systems software development projects and providing support for the divisions, institutes and groups in the CELS directorate. Contributes to the development of portals, websites, and other applications for management and researchers/users. Evaluates, develops, and implements IT solutions.Major actions and supporting actions:High Level Effort Breakdown:Develops tools, software, and infrastructure to aid and support the scientific goals of the CELS directorate.Participates in the design, development, and operations of CELS computing resources and related projects.Work with computational science teams and researchers to aid their use of CELS computing resources.Detailed breakdown:Leads and oversees CELS Systems application development, including oversight of junior developers/contractors and their work. Sets priorities for the development group in maintaining existing software, applications, and custom websites developed by the Systems Group. Works with multidisciplinary team to assess system requirements of the division and to develop and deliver IT solutions, including websites and applications.Designs, develops and deploys applications to accomplish the specified goals in the given projects. Provides technical website solutions and implements those solutions. Modifies existing web sites/portals and updates as necessary. Educates and trains users in using the finished projects as needed.Manages multiple concurrent projects; schedules work assignments for software development group including students and assigned contractors; ensures projects and documentation are completed within designated time frames and in accordance with operating procedures; provides technical guidance as needed. Sets priorities for maintaining software, applications, and custom websites for related projects.Requirements Summary:A typical full stack developer. Experience with web portals, process automation, django (preferred) or php. Ideally someone who not only codes, but also supports that code in production. Maintains all websites developed by CELS Systems, owns maintenance/development of Userbase 3 (in-house account and resource provisioning application), as well as various projects supporting both internal-facing and external-facing applications.Specific
- Bachelor's Degree and 4+ years work experience or equivalent
- The level of knowledge and skills required is typically consistent with a candidate possessing a technical foundation in computer science or extensive software experience in an engineering discipline. This is typically equivalent to having a bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or computer science, with at least 3-5 years of experience in the field of software engineering.
- Knowledge and expertise in UNIX systems, with emphasis on Linux.
- Comprehensive knowledge of systems tools and languages, such as Perl, Python, PHP, SQL, and shell scripts.
- Knowledge and expertise in modern web authentication methods such as SAML, OAuth2, and Shibboleth.
- Comprehensive knowledge of web APIs, including REST and JSON-RPC.
- Comprehensive problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of integrated development environments such as Eclipse or Xcode.
- Considerable knowledge of current Web techniques, frameworks, and practices, such as AJAX, JQuery, Django, and CMS tools including Wordpress.
- Ability to communicate well with people of diverse backgrounds and computer knowledge.
- Flexibility in dealing with multiple assignments and working on sev
PT2 Requirements: Bachelor’s and 2+ years, some occupations may require graduate degree.
PT3 Requirements: Bachelor’s and 4+years, some occupations may require graduatedegree and 2+years.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Requisition Number: 402626