Application Developer – Asheville, NC
This position is located at NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) in Asheville NC. The successful will workwith Center for Weather Climate's (CWC) datasets and assist with moving operations to an offsite cloud in cooperation with NCEI scientists and NESDIS Cloud contractors.
- In cooperation with NCEI scientists and NESDIS Cloud contractors, deploy and configure GHCN & nClimGrid processing software in the designated cloud environment
- Analyses to determine if cloud produced datasets are consistent with those produced on internal NCEI servers
- Experience in application development, preferably in scientific software development
- Experience with Fortran, Python and bash
- Experience with Unix/Linux command-line and bash shell
- Subversion and GIT (creating patch files and resolving merge-conflicts)
- Comfort with editing files from the command line with tools such as vim or emacs
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility
- Experience with cloud platforms including AWS or Azure
- Familiarity with various NCEI datasets including GHCN and nClimGrid
- A background using environmental/climate variables in research is desired. Data analysis and data quality assurance skills preferred.
Bachelor's Degree in Atmospheric Science, Computer Science or related discipline, or Associate's Degree and equivalent workexperience