Job ID 17566
What you would do in this job:
Are you creative and innovative with problem solving? Do you love to learn and utilize new approaches for addressing today’s top challenges? Is collaboration fundamental to how you do your best work? Do you want a clear understanding of how your efforts are driving the organization’s success?
If your answer is yes to any of these questions, Securian’s Information Technology department may be exactly what you are looking for.
- We value shared goals and objectives
- We value effective communication, collaboration, and empathy
- We value continuous learning, continuous improvement, and experimentation
- We value flexibility and adaptability
- We value trust and empowerment
- We value diversity and inclusion
As an Application Developer, you will begin your career at Securian in a comprehensive training program where you will learn Java, other key technologies, and professional skills. This program teaches you the foundational skills to start an application development career at Securian. After training, you will join an application development team where you will be actively involved in designing, developing, testing, debugging, and maintaining new and existing systems or integrating software solutions while using either Agile or Waterfall methodologies.
Creating engaging customer experiences, while ensuring our customers’ data is safeguarded is core to how we operate. Maintaining Securian’s competitive advantage is extremely important and you will be a part of a team that strives towards continuous advancements and improvements to meet our business and customer needs.
Our environment leverages a wide variety of development technologies including:
- Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, and IMS databases
- Web Services (REST and SOAP)
- Spring Framework
- Groovy Script
- Versioning and Deployment (GitHub, Jenkins, Puppet)
What we'd expect from you:
- Four-year degree with a major in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Administration, Engineering, Physical Sciences, or related degree preferred.
- Strong analytical and design skills, creative problem-solving skills and high attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in order to effectively communicate with clients and work as a member of a team.
- Desire to continuously learn new things and contribute in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to take the initiative, have strong sense of urgency and willing to accept a wide range of responsibilities.
- Ability to participate periodically in overnight, on-call rotations and other noncore work hours to support Securian’s systems in the case of outages, job failures, implementations, etc.
- You must currently be authorized to work in the United States. We will not be pursuing candidates requiring a Visa sponsorship.
What you could expect from us:
Appreciating diversity and the unique contributions of each associate, Securian fosters a workplace where people can develop and reach their potential. The Company offers opportunities for long-term, career growth in a wide range of fields.
We encourage associates to prepare for future responsibilities and career success by pursuing professional and educational opportunities, and offer an extensive on-campus curriculum of industry programs and customized courses through our Training and Development department.
Providing a family-friendly workplace, we encourage associates to maintain a balance between work and personal activities, and offer a variety of life balance programs and benefits. We understand there's more to life than work.
We also contribute to the health and vitality of the communities where we live and work through our tradition of volunteerism and philanthropy.
The advantages we offer - opportunities for advancement, a positive and flexible work environment, a comprehensive and valuable benefits package, and a commitment to our community - result in an excellent associate retention level.
Physical job requirements:
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse and computer for approximately 1-4 hours per day
- Ability to utilize telephone for approximately 1-4 hours per day
The physical job requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal employment opportunity:
Securian Financial Group, Inc. considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, or Veteran status. All applicants will be considered solely on the basis of their qualifications.
Department: Information Technology
Securian is now hiring college students for our Application Development program with January and summer 2018 start dates!